No announcement yet.

Searching for my Great Grandparents - John M. Gill & Celia Anna Matilda Kirby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for my Great Grandparents - John M. Gill & Celia Anna Matilda Kirby

I have been searching for my GreatGrandparents, John McClish Gill and Celia
    Anna Matilda Kirby
    since 1968 without any luck. I NEED HELP FINDING THESE
    FOLKS.
    They do not appear in any census as far as I can determine. As their
    children were mainly born in Grayson or Cooke Counties TX, they should appear in the
    1880 census for one of these two counties...they do not....the children first appear in
    the 1900 Indian Territory (Oklahoma) census without parents.

John McClish Gill was born abt 1840 in either Texas or Missouri and Celia Anna Matilda
    Kerby was born abt 1848 in either Tenneessee or Kansas. I suspect that both John and
    Anna died between 1883 and 1892. 1883 is the year their last child was born and 1892
    is the year their oldest daughter (Nancy Elnora Gill Morris) was married. Nancy had
    said that she didn't get to go to school very long because she had to take care of her
    brother and sisters, and that when she got married (in 1892) she had a ready made
    family because her brother and sisters lived with them. According to the family bible,
    Nancy was married in Indian territory (Oklahoma).

Hello Old Harv

Please give some info on Nancy's siblings and their whereabouts in the 1900 census for Oklahoma.

I can see Nancy with George W in 1900 and their children. There are two other children in that census - Nora L Morris b 1884 and Mollie Morris b 1886 ? children of George from another marriage.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Hello Old Harv

Please give some info on Nancy's siblings and their whereabouts in the 1900 census for Oklahoma.

I can see Nancy with George W in 1900 and their children. There are two other children in that census - Nora L Morris b 1884 and Mollie Morris b 1886 ? children of George from another marriage.

Vera
      Nancy (Gill) and George W. Morris are my Grandparents. Nancy's siblings are as follows:

2. LULA MAY (MAE) AUTRY DOB: 18 JAN 1883 POB: DEXTER TX
      SPOUSE: JIM E. AUTRY DOD: 15 MAY 1959 POD: HOLDENVILLE, OK

3. MARY LOLA BOYD DOB:18 OCT 1875 POB: DENISON, GRAYSON CO. TX
      SPOUSE: FRANK BOYD DOD:13 DEC 1959 POD:WETUMKA, OK

4. WILLIAM ALVIS GILL DOB: 4 SEPT 1883 POB:
      DOD: 19 JAN 1960 BURIED AT LUTIE CEMETERY, LATIMER CO.
      SPOUSE: WINNIE L. BLAKE DOB: 16 DEC 1887
      DOD: 22 OCT 1966 BURIED AT LUTIE CEMETERY, LATIMER CO.

5. LUCY VIOLA BOYD DOB: 2 AUG 1879 POB: GRAYSON CO. TX
      SPOUSE: J.M. BOYD DOD: 7 AUG 1942 POD: HUGHES CO., LAMAR

They are all shown up living together in the household of there sister Lola Boyd in 1900 Chickasaw nation....Thanks for looking

Comment

Hello Old Harv

I have searched and found nothing. So many records available and 'good' names but no results.

It is possible that the 1880 census was just missed and that the parents had possibly died before the 1890 (no federal) but some Oklahoma. However not sure if there would be a census at that time of those who had began settling in 1889 with the "freeing" up of land in OK Indian Territories.

Would have hoped to find them in 1870 married or single in Texas but no luck nor separately in the other States.

There maybe some land record for John McCrill Gill if he made it to OK to stake a claim.

Have you the birth certificates of marriage certificates of the children?

Vera

Comment

I have death cert for all the children....they show their Father as John Gill and the Mother as Celia / Anna / Annie Kerby / Kirby. I've checked county records in both Kaufman. Cooke, Erath and Grayson Counties in Tx.....I've checked Chickasaw Nation Records as that's where my GrandMother Nancy Elnora Gill was living in 1892 according to her Marriage Lic.

All of the Older folks in my family, that should have known something were evasive when came to talking about the Gill.....one Aunt let it slip that there was some kind of scandle concern John Gill in Missouri.

In all the census that I found on the children, they've alway shown John as born in Texas and Celia born in Tenn. However, later in life William Alvis filed a delayed birth Cert, where he shows John as being born in Missouri and Celia born Kansas.....

Comment

Working...
          X