Anyone moved from FTM to Rootsmagic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone moved from FTM to Rootsmagic?

Has anyone made the move from FTM to Rootsmagic? I would be interested in your views as I notice they now [apparently] have the facility to import FTM files directly [i.e. without converting to GEDCOM first]. If so, this would be of great interest to me as I have lots of media files etc. that I would be annoyed not to have transferred if I could only move to new software only using the standard GEDCOM process [if it were, indeed, a problem].

Any views generally on Rootsmagic also appreciated [note: I have downloaded the trial / free version and will try it our later once I have done a full backup of my pc].

Thanks for any input

I bought the programme in 2016 intending to convert but have not yet taken the plunge as my FTM tree needs tidying and improving first. Never seem to get round to that job!
    If I am sharing with someone who only has an online tree, I get them to download the free trial version and play with the example tree to see if they like it. I then send them the share file. If they want to buy the full thing then they can.
    The reason I tell them about RootsMagic is that it will import FTM files directly but only up to 2006 version ie. before ancestry changed the file construction again.

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass - I think they can do more than FTM 2006 as they say on their blog:

"That’s why we’re excited to announce today’s release of RootsMagic 7.1. In addition to various tweaks and fixes, this update adds the ability to directly import any Family Tree Maker file.

And by “any” Family Tree Maker file, we really mean it. RootsMagic can directly import:

Family Tree Maker 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014 for Windows (*.ftm, *.ftmb)
      Family Tree Maker 3 for Mac (*.ftm, *.ftmb)
      Family Tree Maker 2010 and 2012 for Mac (*.ftmm, *.ftmd)
      Classic Family Tree Maker Files (*.ftw)"

If so, it would seem to be a good benefit - and avoids the risk of losing fields, info., etc. - hopefully someone who has bought Rootsmagic and migrated to it can add some views / advice.

Comment

Just to add - the main motivation for wanting to move from FTM is the fact that it takes ages to load, open media items, add new facts, move from one person to another etc. I'm getting concerned that one day it just won't load at all!

Comment

The variations of FTM imports has improved greatly since my purchase. As I use 2006, the previous limit was fine. That’s what I get for not starting to use it sooner LOL

Comment

Working...
          X