Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry keeps reverting to .com

Aaaargh. Ancestry keeps reverting to Ancestry.com instead of .co.uk

I keep changing it back but it soon reverts again. When it is on .com the locations of events such as marriages just say 'England' instead of the full place name, meaning more editing is needed. Also the Home page is all USA orientated so quick access to my preferred pages is not available.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Anne

I thought this would be better on Research Anne.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

that happened to me a lot, drives me nuts, cannot remember how I fixed it.

this is interesting,

Last edited by Guest; 07-04-18, 20:07.

Comment

Me too recently. I keep changing it back and hope it stays that way next time I fire up the pc. Some times works, sometimes not. This week it started not showing me the pages for my results and demanded I subscribe. My world sub is paid up till July!!

Comment

Seems to that whenever I asked for ancestry.co.uk I was asked that ancestry.com.au would be better for me. As I have only current generation Australian relies this was of no use to me. However on the opening page there is a block that says “Continue on co.uk” which reverts me to the one I want. It is a nuisance to have to do this every time I opened ancestry but better than nothing.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

David ..............

I get that occasionally, only in my case, it thinks I should be on ancestry.com.ca ........... and I have no relatives in Canada, apart from a few possible late 1800s immigrant distant relatives of OH's family.

One time, it did not show me that boc "continue on ancestry.co.uk", boy was I furious with it that day!
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have my link to .co.uk on my favourites bar. Every time I go back to the Home page it reverts to .com with links to things I don't want. I just reopen the page by clicking my own link to .co.uk and it stays on that ONLY until I need to go to the Home page again. Very annoying but not insurmountable.

I usually have two Ancestry tabs open so I can see the tree on one and use the other for searching, hence the frequent visits to the Home page.
              Anne

Comment

It seem s to me that Big brother (Ancestry in this case) thinks it knows best. Definitely not always the case!

David

Comment

Guy

I've done that.

It's also what Genes Reunited still tells us to do ........ never worked on there back then nor now

Nor did it work for me on Ancestry!

All clearing the cache does for me is mean that I have to log in to every flippin' site that I usually don't log out of, but doesn't stop Ancestry's silliness, nor improve GR
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

must admit I cleared mine today and that rotten white box about ancestry cookies comes up on every page now. uuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhy, have emailed them

Comment

Hmmm, yes I do clear them from time to time and I know it is necessary to do so but tbh its more of a fag having to re-login to every website than it is to kep clicking back to Ancestry.co.uk. Also It means I have to confirm by automated phone with the banks that I really am using the same computer. Having cleared the cache I am always caught out when just wanting to do something quickly but foiled again by the sometimes lengthy login!
                      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        must admit I cleared mine today and that rotten white box about ancestry cookies comes up on every page now. uuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhy, have emailed them
                        So clearing the cache made it worse! Yes, that was my experience with those white banners on Ancestry too. All that effort and it made it worse! So much easier just to move the page up a bit and hide the d...ed thing LOL
                        Anne

Comment

mine is coming on every page Anne, driving me nuts, they have responded, and told me to do the same as last time, have done but nothings changed.

Comment

well have solved it for now went incognito

Comment

You can clear your cache without clearing your cookies so you won't lose your passwords. I just ignore the cookie banners, they don't get in the way. Oddly enough, I don't get them on this laptop yet it is the same version W10 and Chrome just like the PC. I briefly had the issue of .com on the laptop but that seems to have sorted it self out.

Personally, I would avoid password keepers, my father proudly used one of those and went on and on about how marvellous it was - that was fine until his memory started to go and he found himself locked out of every website including his BT emails .... since the keeper was also used for memorable information, it caused major trouble all round e.g. no matter how hard BT tried to help him he never did get his email access back.
                              Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I won't use password keepers either, Caroline. I think my passwords are safer not stored on the computer at all. I never accept offers from the web browser to save them. If the computer was hacked I'm sure a hacker could hack the password keeper too. However the hacker can't see in my filing cabinet where I keep them!!!
                                Anne

Comment

Hackers can't see into the little black book that i keep :D

I have another reason for the little black book .............

OH and daughter both know that I become incapacitated or die, they have to fo to that book, pull up all the sites listed, then remove me, cancel subs, remove my trees fro GR and ancestry, etc etc

Comment

Couldn't agree more Sylvia (and others). Won't have a bar of a password keeper, as you say if someone can hack the computer they can get at the pw keeper as

well. So, all my pws are in, in my case a little green book. To be quite honest lower grade links that I visit get the same pw these days as one can accumulate them by

the dozen.

David

Comment

Yes, fully agree with the rest of the family knowing where to find my passwords and vice versa.
                                      Anne

Comment

Working...
                                      X