Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux

Hello.
    I currently use Windows 7 Pro but this will soon no longer be supported by MS.
    I am seriously looking at Linux.
    Will FTM 2017 run on a Linux computer and how would I ensure I can load my FTM with no loss of data.
    Will it still be able to sync with Ancestory.
    Computer shy
    David

Hi David
    Family Tree Maker does not run on Linux .

I use Family Historian on Linux Mint , it has to be run through Wine . It works about 95% OK.

Ken

Comment

The link below might be of help... but if you are going to use linux, dont expect everything to be as 'point and click' as Windows.

Don't buy a Windows license, don't reboot and don't use a Virtual Machine. Try a free trial of CrossOver to run your Windows software on Mac, Linux and ChromeOS.

W10 licences are available on Groupon for £20.00, which is good value, and could be worth every penny if it allows you to continue using FTM unhindered...

If you are insistent on migrating to Linux, Gramps may be a better option than trying to use FTM though Crossover/Wine
      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks to all for replies.
        I have decided to partition my hard drive with an option to boot into Windows or Linux at start up. That way my FTM will work as usual and sync at Ancestry.
        I also have a couple of other programmes that won't run on Linux.
        Best wishes
        David W

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
          The link below might be of help... but if you are going to use linux, dont expect everything to be as 'point and click' as Windows.

Don't buy a Windows license, don't reboot and don't use a Virtual Machine. Try a free trial of CrossOver to run your Windows software on Mac, Linux and ChromeOS.

W10 licences are available on Groupon for £20.00, which is good value, and could be worth every penny if it allows you to continue using FTM unhindered...

If you are insistent on migrating to Linux, Gramps may be a better option than trying to use FTM though Crossover/Wine
          Could you provide a direct link to the Windows 10 licences please? I have looked at Groupon uk site and can’t find them.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            Could you provide a direct link to the Windows 10 licences please? I have looked at Groupon uk site and can’t find them.

Although it currently looks like there is no availability
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X