Can anyone help? Irish John Turnbull 1838

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help? Irish John Turnbull 1838

I have seem to hit a brick wall with my 2nd great grandfather b- 1837-1838 Dublin , Ireland
    d- between 1891 - 1896 Durham, England

He moved to Durham where he lived as a lodger before marrying Mary Thomas.

I don't seem to be able to trace anything about him from before he moved to durham ( his parents and family etc)

I would really like to more about my Irish roots but don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Irish Roots

I am trying to find out about my Irish roots but seem to have hit a brick wall.

My 2nd great grandfather is John Turnbull B 1837-38 Dublin, Ireland
    D between 1891-1896 Durham, England

He moved to Durham, England, where he married Mary Thomas . I dont seem to be able to find out anything about where he came from ( Parents, family etc) Could anyone help please? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Hello janadele.
      What year did John and Mary marry? Do you have their marriage certificate, as that should give the name and occupation of John's father? Which census returns have you found him in? By Durham, do you mean Durham city or County Durham? if you can give a bit more information, it could help us to find your man.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

This query is also on the family history research board - perhaps one of them could be deleted?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Can you tell us whether you want this on the Sensitive board or the Research board please janadele. Then we can delete the one which isn't needed. The difference is that Google search can pick up the Research board but not the sensitive board.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sorry I'm new. Can you delete the one on the research board please.

Comment

For anyone looking at this, it doesn't appear to be this couple in 1871 as I believe this Mary was Mary Collinson, married to John Turnbull in June 1861. The children's births all fit with that marriage. https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=6985676

Having said that, I can't find a marriage between a John Turnbull and a Mary Ann Thomas before Dec 1901.
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 04-04-18, 18:46.

Comment

I dont have a marriage certificate. I have census records 1861 where he is living as a lodger
                1871 where he is living with Mary Thomas ( Turnbull ) He is a labourer.
                1881 where he is a boiler smith and their children are George Longstaff Turnbull, Thomas, Eliza, Margaret, May and grandson Fred R.

They live Bishopwearmouth Durham. Hope this is enough info. Thanks

Comment

Yes I did come across Mary Collinson - a while back now. Ill have another look into her side because Im also wondering where the name George William Longstaff Turnbull comes from as theres a few. It might be to do with her side of the family tree. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by janadele View Post

I dont have a marriage certificate. I have census records 1861 where he is living as a lodger
                    1881 where he is a boiler smith and their children are George Longstaff Turnbull, Thomas, Eliza, Margaret, May and grandson Fred R.

Thanks for the additional information, which helps us when trying to identify which people are the ones you are looking for.
                    Bishopwearmouth is part of the present day city of Sunderland, which is in the county of Durham. Durham more often refers to the city of Durham.

I didn't manage to find a marriage for John Turnbull and Mary Thomas, but will look again now we have some more details.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

For reference, these seem to be the census records janadele is referring to
                      1861 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

1871 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

1881 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1881 census records daughters May born 1877 & Eiza born 1972

On the GRO birth index, both girls are recorded with mother's maiden name Collinson

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

See my reply on your other thread on the sensitive board.
                          Perhaps a mod can merge the two, as it is starting to get confusing!

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think Chrissie referred to a Turnbull/Collinson marriage earlier in the day on your other thread.

Just found it - Sunderland Apr, May or June 1861.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have merged these threads though I don't see why it is sensitive it is in the very distant past.

Comment

Originally posted by janadele View Post

This is the 1891 census not 1881
                                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

TURNBULL, GEORGE LONGSTAFF Mothers maiden name COLLINSON
                                GRO Reference: 1865 S Quarter in SUNDERLAND Volume 10A Page 462

Where did you get the information from re Mary Thomas, I cannot see her anywhere at the moment?
                                Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-04-18, 09:28.
                                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Ive found a 1841 census record where he seems to living Byers Green aged 5?

Comment

I assume you mean this one? - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Thomas and Mary are too old to be his parents. I wonder if there is any connection to the Thomas and Ann on the same page? All seem to be born in the County though, apart from John and Elisa (also 5 years old).

Comment

Yes thats the one

Comment

I think there were other John Turnbulls of a similar age in the same geographical area at the same time. So, once you get back before the children and the marriage, you are going to need some additional information to try and identify YOUR John Turnbull from the others.
                                        You really need further details of the actual marriage record, as this should name John's father and describe his occupation, helping to pinpoint possible earlier records for John. The quickest way to find this is to send to the GRO for a copy of the marriage certificate - you can order this online, I think it costs about £9, and they will post it to you.
                                        Perhaps another forum member would be kind enough to add full details of how to do this - it's so long since I ordered a marriage cert that I'm out of date!
                                        (Unless anyone can find an online image of the marriage certificate?)

As 1841 census recorded so few personal details, with birth years being approximated, without knowledge of John's parentage to help you move back through 1851 to 1841, I think it would be fairly easy to "claim" a "wrong" John. You really do need to know the name of his father.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X