William Burn Moore Head Mar 26 Ship Carpenter born Sunderland
      Mary Ann Wife 24
      Mary I Daur 6
      Margaret A Daur 3
      Sarah Ellen Daur 1

All born Sunderland
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

So far I have found these daughters:

Mary Isabella Q2 1854 Sunderland
        Sarah Q4 1855 Sunderland
        Margaret Ann Q1 1858
        Sarah Ellen Q1 1860
        Elizabeth Alice Q3 1862
        Eliza Q3 1864
        Williametta Q1 1866
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have found references to a William Brown Moore. William Burn Moore doesn't crop up much. I'll investigate tomorrow. Off to bed now!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

And Mary was Collinson 1911 in Sunderland

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

with May 2 Olive Street
            Last edited by Elaine; 05-04-18, 22:00.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Was off to bed too but wondering about Collinson and found the connection

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

John Collinson married Mary Longstaff 07 Sep 1834 Auckland-St. Andrew, Durham, England
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks everyone. I can see where the Longstaff Comes from now

Comment

Going back to the opening post and the origins of John Turnbull, born Ireland c1838.

in 1841, there were
                  2 John Turnbulls in Bishop Aukland (born 1835: born 1836 - this second one was mentioned in an early post)
                  1 John Turnbull in Bishopwearmouth born 1839

in 1851 there were:
                  John b 1840, born and living in Bishopwearmouth
                  John b 1841 born and living in Hylton (an area of Sunderland)
                  John b 1841 born and living in Bishopwearmouth
                  John b 1842 born and living in Monkwearmouth (an area of Sunderland near to Bishopwearmouth)

Anyone want a go at tracking forward any of these, for elimination purposes?

(Lots of other John Turnbulls in County Durham born 1838 +/-5 - I tried to keep it simple to begin with, with a Bishop Auckland or Sunderland connection.)

I have some issues to deal with this afternoon and early evening, so can't do any sustained research until much later tonight, although may look in earlier.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I found a marriage certificate for Johns son Thomas. John was marked as deceased on it and this was 1896 so I think he died somewhere between 1892-95 as theres a census record of him 1891. He was a Rivetter. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by janadele View Post
                      I found a marriage certificate for Johns son Thomas. John was marked as deceased on it and this was 1896 so I think he died somewhere between 1892-95 as theres a census record of him 1891. He was a Rivetter. Hope this helps.
                      Unfortunately not, if it's the origins of John born c1838 - 40 that you are after (the John Turnbull who married Mary Collinson.) Births and marriage certificates for their children will reveal nothing about the earlier, pre -marriage lives, parentage or origins of either Mary Collinson or her husband John Turnbull.

As there are several possible John Turnbulls in 1851 census and 1841 census, you are going to have to see if you can find evidence to bring any of these forward in time to eliminate them from the equation, as it were. If no fathers were recorded on the actual marriage cert of John Turnbull and Mary Collinson, (see post 34) that might be because John was illegitimate; that in itself could help eliminate some of the Johns from the search.
                      I still haven't found any link for a Mary Thomas Also, can anyone find a 1851 census return for likely John Turnbulls born in Ireland?

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 06-04-18, 16:54.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Im trying to post a pic of it but cant

Comment

Looking at John c1838

1851 there is a Jonathan Turnbull c 1801 Pensioner Army with Thomas Turnbull that was looked at earlier

1841 from previous post

going to see what I can find for this John first
                          Last edited by Elaine; 06-04-18, 19:56.
                          Elaine

Comment

Going to call it a night, not getting anywhere
                            Elaine

Comment

Do I understand that the John Turnbull and Mary Collinson marriage cert has been looked at and doesn't have fathers's names and occupations listed? If not, then wouldn't it be worth sending for it?
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                Do I understand that the John Turnbull and Mary Collinson marriage cert has been looked at and doesn't have fathers's names and occupations listed? If not, then wouldn't it be worth sending for it?
                                Chrissie, see post 34.
                                I have just looked up the FMP reference and it is a transcript, rather than an image. No fathers' names are recorded in the transcript, but that doesn't automatically mean the entries on the original cert were left blank.
                                If it was my family, I think I would buy the cert in order to see; also to see who the witnesses were - could be family members .
                                I would want it as a PRIMARY source, IF I though the 1861 Turnbull/Collinson marriage was the correct one for my ancestors.

Jay
                                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-04-18, 10:44.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Janet Yes, that's what I thought.
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ok thanks. I will look into this later today. Ive never ordered one before. Will try to do online as suggested in an earlier post.

Comment

Perhaps a forum member would be kind enough to post instructions on ordering a marriage cert from the GRO, in case janadele decides to order the marriage certificate? Including relevant website and GRO ref no for the 1861 marriage?

(It's been many years since I personally ordered a marriage cert - apart from one registry office wedding, I've always been lucky enough to be find images of church registers either online or at record offices. More recently I've used the new GRO site for birth and death certs, but don't think my GRO link includes ordering marriage certs.)

janadele, if you decide to order the cert, make sure you do it through the official GRO site, where the price is £9.25. There are other sites which offer to supply you with certs, but they charge much more - I think they obtain the cert from the GRO and then send it on to you, adding an additional hefty sum for their "service."

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

This is the website you need:

You will have to register first or sign in if you are already registered.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:

Comment

I registered earlier on. I am waiting for a Verification code but it doesn't seem to be coming straight through. I will check Monday now. I will keep yous informed if I manage to order one. I'd be very greatful of any information I need to order one just incase I get stuck. Thankyou.

Comment

Working...
                                          X