No announcement yet.

Lost family of McCormack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carolyn, Peter Mcdonough married Rose Leydon in Ireland in 1836 and they had a daughter Catherine in Ireland in 1837.
    They were in England by 1844 when their daughter Rose was born in 1844. Peter's wife died in 1847 and in 1851 he was in Newcastle with both daughters and a tribe of other McDonoughs who could well be part of my known family.
    In 1861 I can't find Thomas or either of his girls.
    His daughter Rose married Patrick McCormack in June 1864 and in 1871 they were in Newcastle with children John ,Mary and Catherine. They has a daughter Rose McCormack in 1875 and I think Patrick McCormack died a little while before the birth. Peter McDonough died in Newcastle in 1879, I think.
    1881 I can find NONE of the family.
    John McCormack (son of Patrick & Rose) married Isabella in 1891 and I have been able to trace this family through census from 1891 onwards.(they had a daughter Rose McCormack born in 1894.)
    Daughter Rose McCormack (sister of John) next appears in 1897 when she married John George Topping. I can trace her through the next two census returns.

Catherine was the elder sister of Mrs Rose McCormack and there is a possible marriage in Newcastle in 1859 and another in Bellingham in 1860. However, I have not been able to pick up on any of the possible couplings in 1861.:(

To further complicate matters, one of Peter's lodgers in 1851 was a widowed Catherine McDonough, who had children of working age. I THINK this Catherine McDonough could have been my ancestress. I can't find her in 1861 - in 1871 she lived with her son and remained with the family until her death in December 1880. I have her death certificate and burial record, both recent finds. After over 30 years of trying to unearth details about this Irish family, I was so overjoyed to finally get a handle on Catherine and to get the death cert which recorded the name of her late husband, that I wept buckets.

Jay

Hope I've posted the names right - I get myself in such a muddle with this lot when I'm trying to explain who is who.
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-03-19, 19:51.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

James lodging, Roseann visiting, Dog Bank, All Saints, Newcastle

James Reynolds 34 Fish Hawker b Carlisle
      Roseann Reynolds, 13 b Newcastle

Vera

Comment

Vera, thank you.
        I'm just about to go back up thread and catch up on all your posts - you have been very busy on my behalf and I am extremely grateful.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

So thanks to Vera, we now have marriages and census returns for all 3 McCormack sisters Mary, Catherine and Rose.

I had seen the McCormack & Joseph Vasey marriage - I have 1879? but haven't got anywhere as yet.
          Nor with possible marriages for Catherine, elder daughter of Peter.
          The Mcdonaghs have given me many a headache (literally as well as physically) over the years and have caused me to "lie down in a darkened room" far more than all my other lines put together!

Thank you ladies - a little more progress has been achieved tonight. I have to go and deal with some phone calls now - so if anyone adds, I'm not ignoring you; this thing called life gets in the way sometimes!

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-03-19, 20:15.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes,1879 for Vasey/McCormack marriage.

Vera

Comment

Thanks,Vera
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

so still have gaps in the census?, but have a spotted history on them all now?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  so still have gaps in the census?, but have a spotted history on them all now?
                  Yes, Carolyn, spot on.
                  1861 Peter and his daughters are all "missing"
                  1881 Rose McCormack and her children are "missing."
                  1891 Rose McCormack junior is "missing."
                  Also I have no death for Rose as I don't know whether she died before 1881, remarried and had a change of name, or died as Mrs McCormack post 1881.
                  But at least I now know what became of the daughters of Patrick McCormack & Rose nee McDonough. (Am just adding the new info to my treemaker software.)

Jay

ETA reading back through Vera's posts, it seems that Catherine is also "missing" in 1891
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-03-19, 11:10.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There is an 1854 Newcastle death registration for Catherine McDonaugh aged 17 yrs.
                    I'm thinking this could have been the daughter of Peter & wife Rose Laydon. She was recorded as 14 years old when census was taken in 1851. Whilst it ties up one loose end, it does mean Peter and other daughter Rose weren't staying with her & her family in 1861. Also, if Rose did die 1875-1881, then the earlier death of Catherine would mean that she wouldn't have been available to look after Rose's children.

I think the McCormack children must have been around the city of Newcastle from 1875 to 1891, otherwise they wouldn't have been getting married there; but what name was used/recorded in 1881 & 1891????

Jay

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thought I'd found Thomas McCormack this afternoon - married in 1893 (b about 1873, son of Patrick) and in Newcastle in 1901. Sadly he turned out to be the son of Patrick and Elizabeth and NOT my man

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I was thinking the same, they can't have all left and come back, unless they did, even temporary - maybe as still had connections to ireland? I have looked and looked, and just can't see anyone even likely. Not sure if there were any spoilt pages, I have not checked for that.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks for looking Carolyn.
                          I'm afraid that unless you had money, going back to Ireland was never an option, not even on a visit. The famine years were so dreadful that whole extended families emigrated. They had been tenants and so there was no longer any home base for relatives to go to. Also a great percentage of the working population of both England and Ireland were illiterate and so there was no means of keeping in touch. I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I read once that the population of some counties was halved by either starvation or emigration.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

devastating to learn how people struggled.

Funny how all of them disappear from census, I have no idea if it was common to not get on census, I have been lucky and found nearly all my people on census.

the marriage to vasey was widowed Roseann? Hartlepool was a bit different to all other records.
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-03-19, 20:22.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Toddy Foley
                              Christiana Foley
                              Bridget
                              Michael
                              Peter McDough b 1813 Ireland, Lodger
                              Margrate " 17 "
                              Thomas " 24 "
                              Rose " 17 "

living Coburgh Stairs, All Saints

? Catherine McDonough recorded underneath with husband John Foley, Son Thos

Comment

Not sure I am helping with this one, getting lost. I have Catherine McDonnough B1837 daughter of Peter and Rose, is this the visitor in 1851?

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Two Catherines in 1851. One is a Lodger Widow ? a relative of Peter. The other daughter of Peter b Ireland

Dont think the Catherine Foley on image is a McDonough although cant see her after 1861.

Vera

Comment

Vera, thank you for persevering with this lot.
                                    I'm sure that is the Thomas & Rose I'm pursuing but I'm not sure who the Thomas and Margaret Mcdonough are. There was no marital status for either party when Peter McDonough married Rose Layden, so either (or both) could have been children of an earlier marriage. Alternatively Thomas & Margaret could have been a married couple. Or just members of the extended family.

That was clever of you to track a potential Foley link. The name in census looks a bit like Hooley! I'm not sure that the Catherine Foley 42 years (would have been Peter's daughter as I think she probably died in 1854 - Catherine McDonaugh N/Tyne 17 yrs.) I'm wondering if she could have been a sister though????

This is Peter in 1851

My theory (and the straw I keep clutching at!) is that Peter may have been the brother in law of widowed Catherine in this census return. It seems she had 3 children with her - Michael, Thomas & Mary, I think this is the same Thomas who features in the 1861 return and I'm hoping the Michael is my ancestor, who was in his own home by 1861.
                                    This branch of my family seem to bunk up with any associated family that they can find, two or 3 families sharing a single room in the early years in England. It's like putting a hand, with opened fingers, into a pond and trying to catch tadpoles.

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-03-19, 19:05.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

No, Carolyn. See my post above. I think she is extended family.

Jay

ETA I've just twigged that the Foley family were also next door in 1851.
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-03-19, 19:11.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I wondered about the Foley. First letter looks more like an H. Wondered about misheard Hoey.

Not sure but the McDonough of the Margaret looks to be crossed out

Is the Thomas aged 24 not your Thomas McDonough?

Vera
                                        Last edited by vera2013; 23-03-19, 19:25.

Comment

the 51 census and the 61 census that we are linking to are the same road, and appears to have a lot of Foleys!
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X