No announcement yet.

Lost family of McCormack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vera, I'm so sorry - in post #37, when I put "the Thomas & Rose I'm pursuing", I meant PETER and Rose.
    I don't know why , but every time I attempt to type Peter, I accidentally put THOMAS instead. I really am going off my rocker with this lot.

I'm wondering if the Thomas son of Catherine in 1851, and with Peter & gang in 1861 is the one who married Sarah Purvey in Hartlepool in 1862???

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Got it now. I think

Peter with children Catherine who d 1854 and Rose

Catherine McDonough ?sil, W with children Michael, Thos and Mary

Peter McDonough with d Rose

Thomas ? son of sil Catherine McDonough

Margaret ?McDonough ??? wife of Thomas or no connection.

Vera

Comment

That's my theory, Vera, but nothing to prove it
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I thought I would look around at each of the girls husbands to see where they were before marriage, as they may have been living close to their wives to be. I did note they James Reynolds was living in the same street as the McCormacks in 1871, Mount Pleasant, but they seem to have moved in 1881 and couldn't see them close by.

I guess to be most efficient would be to check all roads.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

[QUOTE=

I'm wondering if the Thomas son of Catherine in 1851, and with Peter & gang in 1861 is the one who married Sarah Purvey in Hartlepool in 1862???

Jay[/QUOTE]

Probably not. This looks like him and in 1861 looks like him with parents father Thomas and mother Margaret.

Last edited by vera2013; 23-03-19, 22:00.

Comment

Thanks Vera. I thought he possibly wasn't because he was a bricklayer and then a mason - mine did menial labouring tasks and then went down the pit where the money was a bit better.

It's incredibly difficult when they had no idea how old they were and also couldn't read and write their names. Several morphed into McDonald, especially after elementary education came in!

Carolyn, I bet the children were brilliant at hide and seek!

Jay

Jay.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                I thought I would look around at each of the girls husbands to see where they were before marriage, as they may have been living close to their wives to be. I did note they James Reynolds was living in the same street as the McCormacks in 1871, Mount Pleasant, but they seem to have moved in 1881 and couldn't see them close by.

I guess to be most efficient would be to check all roads.
                Quite a big area to comb, Carolyn. Newcastle was on the north bank of the Tyne and Gateshead on the south. Both stretched out quite some distance east to west. Last time I was in Newcastle I went on a river cruise from the central quayside down to the mouth of the river and back. It was a three hour sail, I loved it because I went past the All Saints parish and also all the coalmine settlements where some of the later generations of clan McDonough lived. It had all been sanitised though, so no real traces of the coal staithes, rope works or chemical factories where they'd worked before moving north to the pits.

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-03-19, 22:19.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have been looking at a marriage for a Catherine McDonough after 1851 and have come across this one

There is a death for a Timothy Foley in 1885 Newcastle

There is although I can't get it to come up on laptop an Electoral Roll record for a Timothy Foley 1862 at Coburgh Steps. Cant see a census though. Do you know if your Catherine? sil of Peter was still alive at that time?

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 23-03-19, 22:45.

Comment

snap I had just found the that marriage, was just checking if it was foley as partner.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                      Quite a big area to comb, Carolyn. Newcastle was on the north bank of the Tyne and Gateshead on the south. Both stretched out quite some distance east to west. Last time I was in Newcastle I went on a river cruise from the central quayside down to the mouth of the river and back. It was a three hour sail, I loved it because I went past the All Saints parish and also all the coalmine settlements where some of the later generations of clan McDonough lived. It had all been sanitised though, so no real traces of the coal staithes, rope works or chemical factories where they'd worked before moving north to the pits.

Jay
                      yes could see it was a big area but I have a few who were literally 3 or 4 doors down that married, the Reynolds were only this distance away in 1871 so it is always worth a look, and lots of foleys around, now that Vera has found a link to them.

There is a death or Petris Mcdonough in 1879
                      Petrus Mcdonough
                      Male
                      12 Feb 1879
                      Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
                      maybe way too late
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 23-03-19, 23:06.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

The one who I THINK was the sil of Peter didn't remarry. I hadn't found her in 1861, but in 1871 she was at the home of her son. She died at his home in 1880 and he registered the death and gave the information that she was the widow of John McDonough. She was buried in the local cemetery - I have both her death cert and the entry from the burial register.
                        Obviously I am working backwards in time - I know I have the right lady in 1871, before that it is conjecture.However, I know that her son had set up his own home by 1861, which explains him NOT being with the gang in that census and I think he and his Mum are with Peter in 1851. I don't know for sure that Peter was her bil - but I would think he was some relation of her late husband John.

Hope that makes sense.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Carolyn, thank you, I think that will be the right death for Peter - see earlier posts. The age is slightly out but I'm not too worried about that as calculating was not in their skills set!

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                            I have been looking at a marriage for a Catherine McDonough after 1851 and have come across this one

There is a death for a Timothy Foley in 1885 Newcastle

There is although I can't get it to come up on laptop an Electoral Roll record for a Timothy Foley 1862 at Coburgh Steps. Cant see a census though. Do you know if your Catherine? sil of Peter was still alive at that time?

Vera
                            yes a Timothy foley 1862 Coburgh Stairs, but can't see him on census, went through street, unless it is split on census (I know it happens)
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 23-03-19, 23:27.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

He is on a lots of them, and address changing:

1858 Coburg stairs
                              1859 Grenville terrace
                              1860 Coburgh stairs
                              1862 Coburgh stairs
                              1871 Rendle street
                              1872 Rendle street
                              1878 9 Rowell place
                              1879 Rowell place
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Dec 1880 newspaper report - Timothy Foley gave evidence to the coroner's court about the death of his 30 yr old daughter. She claimed one John McDonough had entered her house, lifted her from her bed, carried her to the fire and set her clothes alight. She was taken to the infirmary but died from her injuries. Witnesses swore John McDonough was with them at the time and no charges were made against him.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Having seen your post re in 1871 Catherine McDonough living with her son, not sure about this one. There is an adult Lodger with his children but he is a McDonald

The address is a previouus ER address of Timothy Foley

Does this Catherine link with the other McDonough's in the Northumberland village.

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 23-03-19, 23:51.

Comment

Oh that is sad, why did he do that, and why no charges :( Now Timothy Foley seems to be missing from the census......

What was the name of their daughter? Who is John McDonough?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Sorry - I lost myself and repeated the newspaper report.

Ironically the daughter was named Bridget Burns. No idea who John McDonough was, but wouldn't have wanted to cross him. I think it said he claimed the house was full of drunken women and Bridger was drunk. But he must have been to the house to know that?

Jay
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-03-19, 23:57.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

That is tragic. Poor woman, By the time I rev this laptop up and post a link, there are other posts. Possibly some vendetta. Awful that no one was charged.

Vera

Comment

I think Ancestry is playing up, I keep getting odd pages with no data - so may not be your laptop. The Newcastle electoral role I swear disappeared!
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X