No announcement yet.

Lost family of McCormack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vera, I think Elswick is/was part of the city of Newcastle.
    In 1871 my Catherine was quite definitely in the household of her son. recorded as Catherine McDonough, mother, widow, annuitant, 62 years. This age does not tally with the death cert and burial record, but I know they are for the same person because the son's address is on both and matches census; also the son was the informant and present at the death.
    I think we are talking two different Catherine's. It may be that the one with Peter in census 1851 & 1871 is NOT my family after all

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

From newspaper reports, there were other Catherine McDonoughs in N/T from 1860 onwards, born in the mid 1830's so younger than my ancestress. They were all bad lots, in trouble for serial stealing or for bashing someone on the head - don't want these on my family tree

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Carolyn and Vera, thank you both for your continued help and suggestions. I'm off to bed now.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

map here for info
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks for the map, Carolyn. VERY interesting as it marks "Paradise," which is mentioned in the song Blaydon Races ("Now when we got to Paradise some bonny games begun ...") I had often wondered whereabouts that was!
            It also show the pottery to the east of the city. In 1851 census Catherine's sons Michael & Thomas & their sister Mary were all recorded as "potter" - presumably they worked at the pottery?? but don't appear to have been employed there in later years.
            In 1861 MY Michael and his two male housemates all laboured at the patent manure works - wouldn't have been a very fragrant homelife

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

maps are good aren't they, Teasie posted the link on the Hooper thread.

I noted that they were potters, for some reason hadn't occurred that they were in factory...but of course they would be. this area is the other side of the centre to All Saints where the others have been recorded. And a long way from Hartlepool not sure what that means either, but I always like to look on maps.

Who knew there were even manure works in existence, wonder what that even entailed.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Manure works came in in the early Victorian era, when it was discovered that certain mineral elements enhanced plant development. Animal bones were one source - the smell emanating from the boiling of animal bones would have been awful. In my childhood, the "ket" wagon came weekly to collect dead animals from the farms and took these back to the firm's base, which was located between two villages. A couple of times a week the carcasses were processed and if you happened to be going past then there was quite a stench in the air.
                Shells were also used for the manufacture of fertilizer and there would have been an available ample supply of those. The base "supplies" probably came by boat and some of the finished product may also have been transported by boat - so along with a glassworks, a dye factory, rope works etc it would not have been a nice healthy place to live.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hartlepool was another quite important port in Victorian times. I think we forget how important and frequent sea travel was.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

It is just hard to imagine what it would be like - awful, bones were used for glue too, another smelly industry!

Have you seen that there is a new series of this coming:

and it is in Newcastle this time
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, it was a hard old life for some.
                      I have just been browsing through Northumberland newspapers for McDonough (just the most frequent spelling) Mmmmm! Too many cases of drunk and disorderly, John of Coburg stairs twice at court for seriously beating up his wife in the 1880's, Edward marine store keeper and his wife constantly stealing/dealing in stolen goods, and a couple who seemed to terrorise most of the residents of Jarrow. Well, at least my lot had moved out of the city before all these cases, although previously I had already found two instances of gt-grandfather Michael (son of a Catherine!) singing in the street on his way home from the pub!
                      I am unearthing so many McDonoughs that it's a wonder there are still some left in County Galway today

Jay

ETA - yes I'd seen the house programme coming up in the very near future.
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-03-19, 15:45.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

and they all have the same set of first names, really hard to unpick.

So the newspaper reports are not yours that is good, or at least distant ancestors.

Still have missing census which seems odd.

Coburgh Stairs seems popular - just tried to find it on the map, but failed. Found them talking about it on here:

It seems to be quite close All Saints Church
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                        X