Lost family of McCormack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost family of McCormack

In 1864 Patrick McCormack married Rose McDonough in Newcastle on Tyne.
    They had John 1865, Mary 1867, Catherine 1870, Thomas 1872 and Rose 1875 - all born in Newcastle.
    1871 census in Newcastle, with first 3 children and also Peter McDonough, Rose's father. Rose is recorded as Roseann

I can't find them after that census entry.
    There's a possible death for Patrick McCormack (and derivitives) - in 1875. Rose's father died in 1879.
    Did Rose remarry, die, did the family move away, emigrate? Now we have two Irish surnames open to spelling variations.
    And there seems to have been another Patrick with a wife Elizabeth, who had children with similar names but different dates. Also in the city and with a similar occupation; or is it the same Patrick????

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I tried Jay but can't pinpoint them
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks for trying, Elaine.
      It's really maddening, because out of all the "odd" McDonough strands I've been exploring, Peter (Rose's father) seems to be the most likely one who could have been connected to my direct line.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-03-18, 00:45.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

If she remarried in E&W before the censuses of 1881 or 1891, these are results I found. The uncoloured ones, I have managed to eliminate via transcriptions or online certs., XF stands for wrong father (they were all spinsters with wrong father's forename as well), the two blue ones were register office or registrar attended so no online parish entries and the green ones are for following up. I haven't even been able to eliminate one spouse or the other but maybe someone else can.

Name Year Registration Quarter Registration district County Spouse
        Rosetta McCormack 1886 Jul-Aug-Sep Westminster London Charles George Stovell XF
        Rose McCormack 1894 Apr-May-Jun South Shields Durham Daniel Monaghan or Daniel Holloran
        Rose McCormick 1889 Jul-Aug-Sep Aston Warwickshire Thomas Higgins or Hugh Grist or Edwin James Payne

Rose McCormick 1895 Oct-Nov-Dec Bury Lancashire Daniel Kingston O’Connell REG OFF
        Rose McCormick 1897 Jan-Feb-Mar Gateshead Durham John William Brown or John George Topping
        Rose McCormick 1900 Apr-May-Jun Huddersfield Yorkshire West Riding Jonathan Garside or Harry Dawson
        Rose McCormick 1900 Apr-May-Jun Birmingham Warwickshire Joseph Gilbert or Joseph Gardiner

Rose Ann McCormack 1886 Apr-May-Jun Salford Lancashire John Malish XF
        Rose Ann McCormick 1877 Oct-Nov-Dec Bolton Lancashire James Russell XF
        Rose Ann McCormick 1879 Apr-May-Jun Hartlepool Durham Joseph Vasey or Patrick Durkan
        Rose Ann McCormick 1881 Apr-May-Jun St George in the East London Henry Francis O‘Neill or William Davis
        Rose Ann McCormick 1897 Jan-Feb-Mar Salford Lancashire Andrew Groarke REG OFF
        Rose Ann McCormick 1898 Oct-Nov-Dec Liverpool Lancashire Lauchlin Archibald McVicar XF

Comment

This is maybe John in 1891

Name: John Mc Cormick
          Relationship: Head
          Birth Year: 1866
          Spouse: Isabella Mc Cormick
          Birth Place: Newcastle
          Civil Parish: Gateshead
          Residence Place: Gateshead, Durham, England
          Sub registration district: Gateshead
          ED, Institution or Vessel: 2

Piece: 4175
          Folio: 56
          Household Members: Name Age
          John Mc Cormick 25
          Isabella Mc Cormick 23
          Source Citation
          The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Class: RG12; Piece: 4175; Folio: 56; Page: 27

Comment

Same family are on 1901 and 1911 but can't find him 1881.

Spouse Isabella MILLER married Gateshead, Durham, 1891
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 29-03-18, 16:28.

Comment

GL, thank you for all your hard work and super logical way of recording it.
              You've certainly given me food for thought and lots of possibilities to mull over and follow up.
              I may be gone for some time......

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                Same family are on 1901 and 1911 but can't find him 1881.

Spouse Isabella MILLER married Gateshead, Durham, 1891
                Well, they had a daughter named Rose! 1911 2 parents and 8 children (3 working and 5 at school) in a 2 roomed dwelling.What a crush, but the norm for my Irish families :(

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

This is the only death that I could find that might be Rose. The age is a bit out but not bad. Nothing suitable in County Durham hat I can see. If this death is Rose, then she has to be somewheres in 1881.

Name: Rose McCormick
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1847
                  Registration Year: 1884
                  Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
                  Age at Death: 37
                  Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne
                  Inferred County: Northumberland
                  Volume: 10b
                  Page: 73

Comment

That's the death I too thought was probably for Rose. And, likewise, I also thought that in that case, she should have been around in 1881????

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thought this might be worth noting too

Deaths Sep 1872
                      McCORMICH Rose 25 Newcastle T. 10b 76
                      Elaine

Comment

Just realised Rose was born 1875...hangs head in shame!
                        Elaine

Comment

Nothing to be "ashamed" of Elaine - they are all a muddled up lot and I'm so grateful to everyone for trying to help me.
                          I'm finding these cityites so much more difficult to chase up than my normal small village ag labs. It's a completely different ballgame, and I'm out of my comfort zone.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have been revisiting this thread, but sadly I am no nearer knowing what became of Rose McDonnough McCormack after the bp of Rose (her last known child) in June 1875.:(

Thanks to GallowayLass for her useful list in #4
                            I can report that the 1897 Gateshead pairing was actually for Rose junior, who married John George Topping - the bp entry for one of the children recorded the parents as George Topping and Rosann Mccormack Topping.
                            I've also been able to follow through the eldest McCormack/McCormick child John & his wife Isabella (again thanks to GL for that lead.)

Still nothing solid for what became of Rose senior though. I had wondered if that 1872 Newcastle death could have been for her, with Patrick subsequently marrying again and naming a daughter Rose. However, I have checked the Rose junior birth registration - Q3 1875 mmn McDonough.
                            So, I have Rose McCorm(a/i)ck and the children missing in 1881 census and Rose junior also missing in 1891.
                            There is a possible death for Patrick McCormick (35 yrs) in N/Tyne Q2 1875.

It is not helpful that they were RC and most of the relevant filmed records are no longer available on familysearch. Sadly I am also finding out that some of the transcribed Northumberland RC records do not always appear in the images of the registers they are reported to have been transcribed from. (I'm commenting, not complaining, because I am very grateful for all the helpful work the LDS volunteers have done over the years.)

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I don't think I will be any better at finding, but will browse around and see, I like a puzzle.

I've also been able to follow through the eldest McCormack/McCormick child John & his wife Isabella (again thanks to GL for that lead.)
                              - did you have him in 1881 anywhere or is he also missing for this year? wondering if he will be with all of them.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Carolyn. I think Peter died in in Newcastle in 1879.
                                I've just realised I also haven't got either him or his daughter Rose in 1861 census. :( I'm pretty sure that he and his wife Rose Leydon/Ladon married in Ireland in 1836 and had a daughter Catherine born Ireland c1837 before coming over. Catherine may well have married before 1861 and her father and sister could have been with her on census night. However, I've not come across anything to back up this theory and Catherine McDonough was a very common name in this region. (I have two in my proven tree, although one of these is also missing in 1861.) It's a surname ripe for errors - McDonough, McDonagh, McDonna, McDonick, Donick, also McDonell - and then variations of McDonald!

Jay
                                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-03-19, 17:42.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The Peter in the census is his father? not hers - is the death you are referring?

So no one at all in 1881 of the family have been found. But John back in Newcastle area in 1891.
                                  I think I am lost - need to re read thread as I don't think I have seen a catherine....
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Not sure what you have for the cildren

?Catherine and Mary died soon after marrying

There is a m for Catherine Mc Cormick to Robert Henderson, Newcastle 1894

In 1901 she is Kitty 31 b Newcastle
                                    Robert 32 " Cartman
                                    Patrick 8
                                    Matthew 1
                                    Nellie (Ellen) 5
                                    Living 2 Back Lane, High Westgate

In 1911 Rbt a Widow with Matthew and Ellen
                                    50 Elswick Street

Can see a Mary Mc Cormick m James Reynolds 1888 Newcastle

James 25 b Newcastle, Fish Hawker
                                    Mary A 23
                                    Thomas 1
                                    Rose 3 reg as McDonough
                                    Hugh father in law
                                    Living 14 Wall Knoll, All Saints

James a Lodger and Widower with Roseann, Visitor

I have been looking at a m for Rose Ann McCormick 1884 Hartlepool to Joseph Vasey but they go AWOL also

Vera
                                    Last edited by vera2013; 20-03-19, 18:38.

Comment

I found same Catherine ones, but can't see her in 1891, before she was married, aren't they elusive

Have not spotted James - is that with his daughter Roseann or mother in law?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

EDIT
                                        Rose, 3 registered as McCornick

Vera

U

Comment

Working...
                                        X