War Pensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Pensioner

would a War Pensioner have had to prove his age ?

Do you mean as in being 65?

I would think a war pensioner was probably someone that had been injured in war or through one of the military services and received a pension because of it. I'm not sure if they would get it immediately or not.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

sorry yes he died a war pensioner in 1933

Comment

War pensioners were not limited by any age to receive a pension through war service. They were mostly men, wounded or injured through war service and as they tended to be young when they enlisted or were conscripted, some pensioners were quite young. Most WW1 war pensioners suffered from severe injury or gassing, likely to incapacitate them for life.
        Some men received short term pensions due to their war service and it was common that a doctor had to periodically certify they still suffered and warranted continuance of their pension. As usual HMG were all heart!

merleyone

Comment

Have you tried to find his name in the military pension records?? There are some on ancestry
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I wondered if they had to supply anything saying their age, before they got a pension.
            Ann Swabey tried the records for me, found War Badge Rolls and Medal Rolls but not anything else.
            Last edited by Guest; 19-03-18, 19:39.

Comment

As Merleyone says above, a war pension was not dependent on age, it was dependent on injury, so they would not need to prove their age because that was irrelevant.

OC

Comment

Yes, I agree. The ones I have seen with records got their pension after their injury had been assessed, often some time after the war but dependent on being injured. The word 'pension' in this case not implying they were old. The pension was meant to be some compensation for the injury.
                Anne

Comment

Age wasn't relevant, Val. Just dependent on length of service or illness/injury
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

what I really meant was would the army have asked for proof of his age at any time during his service ?
                    As you can see Ann we've still not found him, do you think there is any chance, one day to be able to access his records?

Comment

In those days the armed forces were somewhat slack as far as proof of anything goes. As long as you were fit and healthy, looked like you were not a callow youth you were in. My grandfather joined at 16 and 10 months, he said he was 18 and 10 and was never queried.
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I was just hoping maybe somewhere they'd have his birth and even his parents names. nice to see you Grumpy

Comment

Pardon my cynicism Val, but the army wasn't interested in a would be recruits parents. In the attestation papers that I have for my families military personnel there was no

room for parents to be noted, only whether the potential recruit had been living in the fathers house. Birthdate was as given by the recruit. Later in my g/fathers documents

there is a marriage sheet which lists wifes name, witnesses to the marriage and children born of the union. Cheers.
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                            Pardon my cynicism Val, but the army wasn't interested in a would be recruits parents. In the attestation papers that I have for my families military personnel there was no

room for parents to be noted, only whether the potential recruit had been living in the fathers house. Birthdate was as given by the recruit. Later in my g/fathers documents

there is a marriage sheet which lists wifes name, witnesses to the marriage and children born of the union.
                            Cheers.
                            That was to ensure that any subsequent claims for maintenance were genuine and not being made by a camp follower. Following the death of a serving soldier, any claims form had to be countersigned, usually done by a parish priest or vicar. If deemed necessary, marriage and birth certificates had to be produced in evidence.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes, and I have sometimes seen those actual certificates (marriage and death ones) in the WW1 Soldier's Pension Record online. A bonus find!
                              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                Yes, and I have sometimes seen those actual certificates (marriage and death ones) in the WW1 Soldier's Pension Record online. A bonus find!
                                Anne
                                Indeed! ;D

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                                  In those days the armed forces were somewhat slack as far as proof of anything goes. As long as you were fit and healthy, looked like you were not a callow youth you were in. My grandfather joined at 16 and 10 months, he said he was 18 and 10 and was never queried.
                                  My mother's uncle enlisted in 1916 aged 52. I gather he put his age down considerably. He became an acting Lance Corporal, but unluckily for him, two of his sons who likewise enlisted, ran into him in London and dobbed him in....he was returned to private when discharged in 1917 for " Senility & rheumatism." :D You'd have thought they might have noticed something like that during his training.

Not sure if his wife was pleased to see him back again or not .

Beverley

Comment

ah well thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                                    X