Windows 10 BitLocker Recovery Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 BitLocker Recovery Key

did a update today now I have a blue screen asking for this, how do I get one thanks

Haven't a clue Val. Never heard of it. Are you sure it's not a scam? Try Googling it or look on Microsoft's own support site.

Comment

Have Googled and they do genuinely exist but still no idea what to suggest as I have not come across one before.

Comment

Thanks Galloway assume its genuine, I did manage to get on the microsoft site with this pc which is Vista and it keeps recognising that, so cannot get the key.
        This happened after a windows 10 update

Comment

If its asking for a Bitlocker Key, then the hard drive has been encrypted using Bitlocker at some point in the past..

When Bitlocker is first initiated, it creates a key which you are prompted to print or save. Without the key you cannot retrieve any data from the drive..
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

thanks Grim dont remember it doing that, I have found something I wrote down but not sure if its the recovery key, will try thanks

Comment

It seems this is the service tag so no good, I am cheesed off now working on this.

Comment

If you sign in windows 10 with a microsoft account then you "may" be able to recover the key online - I am not sure since I do not use bitlocker but it's worth a try.

So sign in to your microsoft account, start here https://account.microsoft.com/account . When you are signed in go to the Devices tab and your Windows 10 machine should show. On mine it states Bitlocker Off but I have read that the recovery key is stored in your microsoft account so maybe it is there.

Good luck

David

Comment

Been doing a bit more digging on the Microsoft account. If you go to this site

select the question "How do I recover my Bitlocker Key" and assuming you are not connected to a domain you click the link to Bitlocker Recovery Keys. When you click it there will be security checks which may involve emailing, phoning or texting you a code. Once that is done you get to the saved keys. Amazingly I have two, I had forgotten that I did try bitlocker.

Again good luck

David

Comment

thanks very much David I did do this yesterday ,but it recognised my old email address ,which I dont have anymore, been trying to find, my new one.
                    So much for updates.

Comment

Not good. If it is linked to an email address which is no longer valid I think the only way forward is via Microsoft. There are some instructions on this page, together with various disclaimers.

David

Comment

Thanks for trying very kind of you, just been through all my flash drives and the WD Passport, not found it, I did finally get onto the microsoft key recovery and that said I had not stored it there? I'm normally so careful, reckon its in the Desktop but of course I cannot access it.
                        They are saying I could do a factory reset, but would lose all my stuff? what exactly does that mean , would it mean my dropbox stuff would disappear too?

Comment

A factory reset would remove all the data on the operating system drive including any local copies of your Dropbox files. It should not remove the data from Dropbox and as long as you have your account details you will be able to recover that. Have you checked Dropbox in case you saved a copy of the key online?

David

Comment

David can you do me a favour, I have a code for something but it wont work, am sure its a recovery key, can I pm you it so you can tell me if it is or not thanks

Comment

No problem.

David

Comment

have sent it thanks

Comment

Phew found it and am back in, I had saved it in Microsoft.

Comment

Hello Val,

Good Luck with the problem I really think that we should all use a Quill Pen and back to the Postie. We all spend hours sorting these machines out when they are supposed to help save time.
                                    I am just going to post a thread and hope that someone can help.
                                    Margaret N
                                    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I bought myself a new password book, and am about to order an electronic one, I never write down the whole of the password ,but I know the rest.
                                      Good luck Margaret.

Comment

Working...
                                      X