Inherited family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited family tree

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help. My mum had been doing our family tree for 18 years, she sadly passed away in January. Although mum wanted me to continue with it, there wasn't time for her to explain how to proceed and i am keen to carry on. However, there are 2 programs with the tree on, Legacy and The Master Genealogist along with a mountain of files! I am trying to decipher the coding system used for the paperwork side of it. Is there a universal way of coding this or is it an individuals choice? Do i need 2 different programs? I am presuming you have to have the paperwork to prove you are connected to who you say you are before it can be put on a program? So many questions and so interesting! Any help appreciated

hi and welcome to the forum, I am afraid I know nothing about those, but am sure somebody will come along and help, good luck with it.

It might be better if you post this on the Family Tree Software

you could copy and paste it there
    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-18, 15:26.

Comment

Inherited family tree

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help. My mum had been doing our family tree for 18 years, she sadly passed away in January. Although mum wanted me to continue with it, there wasn't time for her to explain how to proceed and i am keen to carry on. However, there are 2 programs with the tree on, Legacy and The Master Genealogist along with a mountain of files! I am trying to decipher the coding system used for the paperwork side of it. Is there a universal way of coding this or is it an individuals choice? Do i need 2 different programs? I am presuming you have to have the paperwork to prove you are connected to who you say you are before it can be put on a program? So many questions and so interesting! Any help appreciated

Comment

Thank you Val, i have copied to the thread you suggested

Comment

Rhonda

No, you don't have to have paperwork to prove you are connected to anyone on your tree but most serious researchers would want paper proof.

Can you give an example of a reference number please? I don't know either of the programs you mention, so not sure what the refs might be.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Rhonda72 View Post
            Hi and welcome to the Forum!

You can put what you like on your tree even if you don't have the paperwork to support it but you do need to note which bits are speculative until you do buy the paperwork. Sometimes it is quite obvious that it is most likely correct but other times it is not.

There are many ways to record your tree and plenty of software options. Many people these days use Ancestry website to record their trees, others prefer to keep it all on a program on their device but in that case make sure it is all backed up regularly.

Legacy that you mention seems to be quite a good one see here https://legacyfamilytree.com/ The Master Genealogist one you mention seems quite an old one and not one I am familiar with.

Good luck with sorting it out and ask away if you have any questions.
            Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 01-03-18, 23:33.

Comment

Most people allocate a number to each person and family, it's possible your references in the paper refer to the individuals or it could be the Custom id on the Sources. I would take a look at the data on both programs to see if either of the IDs against the databases tie up.

FYI The Master Genealogist is no longer a supported program, so you might want to consider replacing it once you have understood the filing system.
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying OC. Makes complete sense to have the certificates etc to back up whats been discovered. The reference numbers are cards with the persons name on with coloured dot stickers. I understand that some are for the census, some for marriage certificate etc but i think the numbers on the card relate to the computer program used but there are some scribbled out. What program do you use?

Comment

HI Jane, that's good to know that The Master Genealogist is now longer current. What program do you use? Any advice on what is a good program? I see, i have understood that an individual has a number but hadn't thought that a family could have a separate number so i will definitely look into that. I am now wondering if the references on the cards are relating to the 2 different programs but was never finished properly.

Comment

Hi Margaret, thanks for replying. Completely understand that the evidence should be there to back up the findings. So you have to pay for the certificates? I don't think our tree is on Ancestory but mum had paid an annual subscription to use their records from what i can see. So the way you file the paperwork is your own individual way?

Comment

Yes, Rhonda, its your tree and you can nurture it in any way you like! Its really up to you to decide who to include, how to list your sources and whether to keep them all as paper or to scan them.

Yes, certificates do have to be bought from the Government GRO website (£6 for some which are available as a pdf copy, or £9.25 for all others) Don't be tricked into paying any more than this. Some website (Ancestry included) think they are 'helping' by getting the certificate for you for an inflated price. They only get it from the same place!

Other records (census and Parish Records for example) can be obtained from paid for websites such as Ancestry or FindMyPast. Some local libraries allow free access to one or both of these. Also you can visit the County Archive of interest to you and us a camera to photograph or their copying machine (both incur a small charge for copying)

There's lots to learn, so don't get overwhelmed with advice! My suggestion is that you stick with the Legacy tree program since you already have it and start by looking at your very close, immediate family to see how your mum did it. You don't have to continue with her index numbers, develop your own routine. Personally I don't use ID numbers at all (although my tree program does allocate them)

Keep asking questions and take it steady!
                      Anne

Comment

Please can a moderator merge these two threads?
                        Anne

Comment

The Master Genealogist used to be considered one of the top software Family History programmes to use for your Family Tree and many years ago I did consider it for my own use, but in the end I used Generations Grande Suite instead, but like all computer software they outdate very quickly, too quickly sometimes for the older generation!! You can rely on Ancestry/Find my past or other online commercial programmes for your tree but many people like to have just a small tree on these sites but have full control over your own tree on software attached to your computer. There are many more modern programmes programmes to do this and possibly one of the best places to to look at what they all offer is TWR Computing at

A wide range of family tree software with free support and postage. Nationwide directories to help you trace your ancestors.

I use Family Historian these days as do others on this site, Family Historian has its own forum site if you need help once you have the programme installed. However Family Historian like the Master Genealogist is quite a challenging software programme. The paper trail is really up to your own individual; way of doing things but do be prepared to change your way of laying out paper trail not once but maybe many times One of these days my children wiill hopefully take over my FH but the more you do the more files you get and mine have become almost unmanageable and need drastic cutting!! I have started and now think that I will have one folder or two or three etc just for Certificates , keeping each family separate.. At present I have 40 files and so it has to be culled in some way. I am getting as much of it on to my computer as is possible including certs and have a sub to Microsoft for Microsoft Professional which includes being able to store up to 1TB in Cloud so as well as my own software, back up on external hard drive I now have all my info in Cloud as wel.l so I am as up to date as is possible at present.

Janet.
                          Last edited by Janet; 02-03-18, 11:32.

Comment

Just seen Master Genealogist v 8 on TWR computing so it is still going strong and you can obviously update if you feel the need.

Janet

Comment

But sadly TMG is no longer supported. Many people have chosen to migrate to Family Historian but since Rhonda already has Legacy and is just feeling her way I tought it might be best to stay with that one.
                              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                But sadly TMG is no longer supported. Many people have chosen to migrate to Family Historian but since Rhonda already has Legacy and is just feeling her way I tought it might be best to stay with that one.
                                Anne
                                You are right Anne and I was just trying to correct my previous post to that effect but it refused to save my correction!! Sadly TMG stopped being supported 2013. Yes Rhonda already has Legacy so yes that may well be the better optiopn to stay with that.

Janet

!

Comment

I've always used Legacy and found it entirely suitable for my purposes. You can use the free package or update to the Deluxe version. Legacy continually update their versions and have good support structure. I would agree with Anne's recommendation to stay with Legacy for now since the existing tree is installed on on that package. However, there are other equally good software genealogy programs - it's all a matter of personal preference.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    Please can a moderator merge these two threads?
                                    Anne
                                    Done.
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I use Family Historian as well. With regard to your two programs. The first thing to do is to decide where the most up to date information is. In general TMG supports more complex data and you may find Legacy was being used only for specific reports or similar.

I recommend reviewing carefully one or two individuals in the databases on both programs to see if either has more comprehensive information.

Family Historian has a direct import from TMG and also has a free trial so at some point you could download it and import your data, but first I really recommend what I said above to review and identify what you have before you move forward.
                                      Jane
                                      Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                                      "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Yes, certificates do have to be bought from the Government GRO website (£6 for some which are available as a pdf copy, or £9.25 for all others) Don't be tricked into paying any more than this. Some website (Ancestry included) think they are 'helping' by getting the certificate for you for an inflated price. They only get it from the same place!
                                        The only exception I would make to that remark is that, sometimes, it's better - or necessary - to obtain the certs from the "local" offices, instead of centrally. There's a good explanation of the reasoning here: https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/
                                        The local offices will often charge slightly more - generally around £10 - but you're one transcription closer to the original and the staff will often "go the extra mile" to make sure that you get the correct certificate - and might even head you off from buying any at all if they aren't convinced that any of the records they hold matches the target of your search. This is much more likely to be true of a rural office than an urban one, which can be very busy with demands on their time that they would deem to be more important than general family history.
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X