Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone see this man on the 1891 Census please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kat,

That's what I thought too... However, despite ordering and downloading many RNLI records on-line via the National Archives Site, and also searching at Kew in person, I couldn't find one that matched.

The chap on the 1891 Census on HMS Ganges' seemed to remain in service after my Grandfather had Married my Grandmother and was living in Swansea.

Holly.
    Last edited by Holly; 25-02-18, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post

I didn't realise that the son's of WJ Wilson's middle names were of RN Ships! (I had though that they were family names from his side, and so have always searched under that assumption). Were they HMS then? And current to the Births, or much earlier? I have always wondered why my Father signed up with The Taylor and Sanderson Steam Shipping Company that operated out of Sunderland, when there must have been lots operating out of Swansea...

Holly.
      They were on wikis list of ships of all time HM Navy. However when looking further Felix 1804 and Havelock built originally for Brazil and then sold to HM Navy. Launched 1939. So out of date for your family. Sorry.

I am not sure what you mean by the Sunderland connection. Do you think that your father was promoting the NE area as a possible family connection.

I wonder too about Navy pensions although you grandfather doesn't say he is a Navy pensioner on the census.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        That should read 1891 census not 1881, Vera
        https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...0105&ml_rpos=2
        Thanks Kat. I blame the cataracts. I don't seem to be able to link from a tablet (android) and this laptop has to be wound up.

Vera

Comment

Hi Vera,

My problem is that my Father, (son of William James Wilson) Died when I was 5, and was 30yrs older than my Mother.

I got the 'Taylor and Sanderson' Steam Shipping Company from his WW1 RNR service Record. (My Father's Record that is).

Holly.

Comment

have you seen this

William Havelock
            Last name Wilson
            Birth year 1894
            Birth date 06 Jun 1894
            Event year 1907
            School name Dynevor Secondary School
            Town Swansea
            County Glamorganshire
            Country Wales
            Parent name(s) Wm Jas Wilson
            Book type Admissions
            Archive reference E-Dyn Sec 2-1
            Folio / page no. 182
            Archive West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea
            Record set National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914

Comment

Yes, I have that Record thanks Val. It's annoying that it doesn't give his Father's DOB! (That would have helped a bit:-)

Comment

Just been googling ,you certainly have been trying hard for years to find him, sometimes something just pops up when you least expect it, good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all your help Val.

Holly.

Comment

Just been reading through this thread -
                    2 references stood out for me - William Havelock Wilson and Sunderland.
                    Decades ago I lived in Sunderland for a few years. In my area there was a Havelock school and a Havelock Street. I think they were named after Mr Havelock, a shipbuilder/owner of a shipyard.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Joseph Havelock Wilson was the Leader of The National Seamans Union in the 1890's. He was born in Sunderland. I think that the Havelock in my late Uncle's name was in tribute to him. The Merchant Shipping Company that my Father and Uncle served with was The Taylor and Sanderson Steam Shipping Company, based in Sunderland.
                      Holly.

Comment

Working...
                      X