Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would "an abstract was issued" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would "an abstract was issued" mean?

OK, I know I should probably just go back to the Facebook forum that I got this information from, but the native users are German and sometimes I am not quite sure what they mean. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me.

Someone kindly translated some German birth certificates for me. German records are often very efficient and have marked in the margins extra information - dates, places and record numbers of subsequent marriages, divorces and deaths.

A couple of my certificates have "[? k. ab.] [? ? since?] 8.1.62 [8. January 1962]" (or other dates). I asked whether it would be the date of death and was told no, probably "certificate issued 8. January 1962, meaning an abstract was issued".

What does that mean? Does anyone have any idea? These people were born in Berlin in the late 1890's, so I would have expected it to be a death date.

Any thoughts gratefully received.
    :D Charney Jo

I would take it to mean that an abstract of the information was issued on that date. Maybe in connection with a he death or maybe for other purposes - passport perhaps? Just guessing though!

OC

Comment

It’s odd, as they usually have deaths with the date and record number. I guess I can’t presume he died in that year then :(. Thanks OC!
      :D Charney Jo

Comment

Working...
      X