Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on marriage certificate Query

Hello ye experts !
    I have a marriage certificate that states occupation of grooms father even though the grooms father is deceased.
    Is this normal, or maybe an oversight when the details were being filled in ?
    It doesn't state deceased on the certificate just his occupation.
    Thank you

I would say it was normal.F

Comment

Normal? possibly not but often happened as it depends how the question was asked, and answered
      eg "what is your father's name and occupation?" answers could be "John smith, labourer" - no mention of him being deceased because they weren't asked
      or "John Smith, but he's dead"

Then there were people who claimed their father was deceased even when he wasn't, perhaps because he had left the family or he didn't approve of the marriage
      and the ones who didn't know father was dead because they had lost touch, and the one's who invented fictitious fathers to cover illegitimacy or bigged up his occupation to impress the in laws!
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Agree with the above. It depends entirely how questions were asked.

OC

Comment

Sorry if there was any confusion about my reply. Perhaps I should have said that it is not unusual to see the occupation of a deceased father on a marriage certificate. I actually read the query in somewhat of a hurry.Of course the other posters are correct when they say that people did not always give the correct information,or did not know.
          F

Comment

Thank you all for very helpful answers

Comment

I have many certificates which say (for example) father: Fred Bloggs (deceased): labourer.
              The 'deceased' is usually in the column for the father's name, under the name, and the occupation column filled in as normal. Sometimes the name is in the name column and the occupation is 'deceased' or just bluntly 'dead'.
              Anne

Comment

I quite like the Southern African term "late" - as used in the No. 1 Detective Agency books.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X