Frank Biglin Caley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Biglin Caley

Borne Wawne, East Yorkshire, 1899, son of George & Annie.
    In the parental home in Wawne in 1901 & 1911.

I THINK he may have served in WW1 1915 - 1919. (Not listed on the CWGC site as amongst the lost.) I have him pencilled in as Private 19303 with the East Yorks regt.

Can anyone one find him post WW1?

Thanks for looking.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Duh - perhaps I should go to bed! I think I've found a possible marriage to Dora Hodson in 1925 in the Patrington reg dist, which would be on his home turf.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-02-18, 22:51.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

It looks as though he did marry Dora .... though his age is a couple of eyars out??

1939 Register

Fairbank , Holderness R.D., Yorkshire (East Riding), England

Frank Caley 15 May 1901 Public Works Contractors Labourer
      Dora Caley 20 Nov 1906 Unpaid Domestic Duties

+ 4 unopened records

HOWEVER .... there was a Frank Caley born in 1901

Caley Frank
      Yorkshire Baptisms
      Humbleton, Yorkshire (East Riding), England

parents:- John and Hannah Caley, Farmer

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
      Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-02-18, 00:30.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

??? several Public Family Trees have him dying 25 March 1825, Southern Cross, Western Australia

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960

Mr Frank B Caley
        Male
        Age 23
        Birth Date abt 1899
        Departure Date 23 Jun 1922
        Port of Departure London, England
        Destination Port Albany
        Ship Name Euripides

from image:-
        Address in UK:- Broomfleet, Brough, E Yorks

Probate record here .......

from image:-
        Died 25 March 1925, Boddalin, Yilgarn, WA
        Probate 18 Dec 1925, to Fred Caley, Farmer. £159 7s 6d
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

found an article in Trove, the Australian newspaper site ........

Western Argus (Kalgoorlie, WA : 1916 - 1938) Tuesday 24 March 1925 p 5 Article
          ... named F. B. Caley was found on Saturday last with the head partly blown off. The 1.Ody 'was brought to ... Mullens. Mr. F. C. Cowle appeared' for the complainant and Mr. Frank O'Dea for': the defendant, who failed ... 1561 words

fuller story from the inquest here ........

An inquest was held at the Courthouse, Southern Cross, on March 14, before the Deputy Coroner, Mr J. H. Stubbs, into the death of F. B. Caley, a settler, who was ...

looks like he committed caused by money worries.

Comment

Cemeteries > Southern Cross Cemetery (Current) A-L
            SURNAME FIRST NAME AGE DENOM DIED
            CALEY Frank Biglin 25 ANG 14/03/1925

The Place for Local and Family History on the Western Australian Goldfields
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks, Sylvia and Jackie.
              I am chasing up a man on a village WW1 roll of honour; there were no Caley families living in the village at any time (nothing in census, nor in the PR) so it is highly likely that Frank worked as a farm servant for a year, living in on one of the farms in the parish. This has been the case with most of the men on the memorial. The memorial just records him as Frank Caley, no middle initial, but again, this is par for the memorial.
              The only thing that I do know for certain about my man is that he served in WW1 at some time. Of the 2 Yorkshire bps, I thought that Frank, born 1901, was a bit young, so plumped for researching Frank Biglin. Apart from a possible medal index card, I've been unable to find any military paperwork about a likely Frank Caley, so unable to match any soldier with birth details, family members etc.

I've looked again at the Frank Caley & Dora Hobson marriage entry on the GRO index and the groom is just Frank, no B. 1939 records this Frank born in 1901 - so he is probably the one born at Humbleton, son of John & Hannah.

I had seen that there was an emigration record for a Frank B, but wasn't sure about the "miner" - no opportunities for mining in the Hull or East Riding area as far as I know.
              However, the Trove article is very interesting as it refers to that man as an "ex-Imperial army man." So, that would seem to prove that the Frank who emigrated had served in WW1.

Kat, just seen your post, confirming that the migrant to Australia was Frank Biglin Caley. Thank you for that. I am feeling that he probably was my roll of honour man, although I have not able to establish a definite link with the village.

Once again, thanks all for your help.
              I shall be back with some more "mystery men" in the coming weeks - there are 80 on the roll and I still have about 20 men to try and identify.
              (J Davy, M Basset and M Wilson are not very helpful entries, as you can imagine!)

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-02-18, 10:10.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just looking at the above will and it mentions a Fred Caley....he had a brother Fred...a farmer
                Jacky

Comment

Frank Biglin had an elder brother Fred

Sorry, the link in post 10 is timed out.

I'm still not able to find anything to link him to the village with a Frank Caley listed on the roll of honour, though.
                  I tried looking up Wawne on Yorkshire Genuki, to see if I could find any military reference for a Caley, but no WW1 memorial was mentioned. With some of the other men, this has been a useful cross-reference point, when place of birth or residence of parent/wife has been known. Sometimes compiling a little family tree for the man has helped, by showing a minor family connection with the village, but for about 20 of the names - zilch!

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-02-18, 14:35.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

[QUOTE=
                    I'm still not able to find anything to link him to the village with a Frank Caley listed on the roll of honour, though.
                    Jay[/QUOTE]
                    Is the roll of honour for Wawne? I had assumed it was but obviously not - Quote from earlier post " there were no Caley families living in the village at any time" and you have him there 1901 /11.
                    This is his baptism there anyway.

Frank Biglin Caley
                    Baptism date 19 Feb 1899
                    Baptism place Wawne
                    Denomination Anglican
                    Parents George and Annie
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-02-18, 15:39. Reason: additional info
                    Kat

Comment

btw there is a war memorial for Wawne.

Kat

Comment

Kat, thanks for the war memorial link - I hadn't viewed it before. I'd found Franks bp on Yorkshire baptisms and also have census returns for him in Wawne in 1901 & 1911. Some of the villages have memorials which list everyone who went to war, others just the men who lost their lives. Hence my searching for possible cross references.

The roll of honour I am researching is not in Wawne, but in another village in East Yorkshire. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it was Wawne. I can find no Caley connection with that village and feel quite confident that Frank Caley (which ever one he was!) was probably a farm lad who was working there when war broke out. The Caley farm at Wawne probably wasn't large enough to provide work for and to support three men, so Frank (as the younger son) sought employment elsewhere.

This has been a common scenario during the project. The men commemorated were not village natives , just men (of war wives) passing through. My main stumbling block has been the lack of military records to confirm places and dates of birth and other personal details, such as next of kin or employment. So, I can write personal profiles for men, I can track military events for others, but what I can't always do with any certainty is marry the man to the soldier and then also connect him with the village in question. If the documents are not there and the dots not drawn, then I can't join them up. I can only speculate and try to find the best fit, which disappoints me a bit.

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-02-18, 17:02.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

East york Caleys

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          Borne Wawne, East Yorkshire, 1899, son of George & Annie.
                          In the parental home in Wawne in 1901 & 1911.

I THINK he may have served in WW1 1915 - 1919. (Not listed on the CWGC site as amongst the lost.) I have him pencilled in as Private 19303 with the East Yorks regt.

Can anyone one find him post WW1?

Thanks for looking.

Jay
                          Hi, Just picked this up, F.B.Caley of Broomfleet would have been a great uncle if he had survived. Oral history said his demise was foul play over a land grant, though initial reports at the time said suicide , who knows. He had three other brothers Fred,Len and My grandfather Philip. This branch of Caleys went extinct with my Mother. They go back to the Caleys of Marton in Holderness whose common ancestor is Cornelius Caley and Anne Suddaby. Decent was Cornelius, Henry1, Henry2, George, Philip. Before Cornelius there is a line back to the 1540s. Many were servants/farm hands/ land agents at Burton Constable Hall. There were religious divides, Henry 2 was born catholic( the Caleys converted in 1620) but later generations "lapsed" as our line did and moved away from the Caley strongholds around the Holderness, Henry 2 was at Thorngumbald then Swanland( Humber Dale).George farmed at Broomfleet then Yapham,Fred at Newport. George +Annie(nee Biglin) are in Broomfleet churchyard as is Philip. There is a Violet Caley too but I have not found her connections if any. Fred and Amy(nee Thornham) are in North Cave Churchyard. Hope this helps. Andy O

Comment

Thanks for your interest Andy O.
                            I'm not actually connected with the Caley family; my query was due to me researching the 80+ men listed on the roll of honour in a village church and one of these names was Frank Caley. Caley was not a surname associated with the village. Most of the men listed on the roll were not natives of the village and have turned out to be part of the transient agricultural work force, which made it difficult trying to identify them. Some were easier to research than others, because I managed to find family connections/a printed record linking the man and the village, or the name itself was rare.
                            I came to the conclusion that the most probable Frank was F B, who could have worked on one of the farms in the parish and then gone on to serve in WW1. With help from forum members I traced him to Australia and found newspaper accounts of his demise. I recorded what I discovered about FBC and put the document in my roll of honour book in the church, with the provisio that I thought FBC was most likely the Frank Caley of the roll of honour.
                            Between the wars a Les(??) Caley moved onto the Yorkshire Wolds to farm. I think that both he and his wife were from the Holderness area and that Leslie was probably part of the Broomfleet family who were your relations. Present day descendants of this couple still retain an interest in the business, I think.

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 27-10-19, 12:27.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                            X