• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire East Riding parish records updated today

Yippee, no H/W for a couple of days
    FMP
    Yorkshire Parish Records
    We've added thousands of new additions to our collection of Yorkshire parish records, including:

Over 73,000 additional Yorkshire baptisms
    Over 16,000 additional Yorkshire banns
    Over 57,000 additional Yorkshire marriages
    Over 18,000 additional Yorkshire burials
    The new additions cover parishes across Yorkshire's East riding and span the years 1538 to 1990. This week's new additions are also available to browse.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Oh good! They already had quite a lot, will have to look which parishes they've added.
    Thanks for posting
    Anne

Comment

Yaaaay :D This collection alone is worth the annual sub to me.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thought you might like that Jay
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Guess where I've been all day?
          The inclusion of some late 1800's/early 1900's events has been really helpful with my Great War project - additional images to put in my "book."

I'm sure there's going to be a whole host of entries for people on my tree, and also on the tree of my friend who asked for some look ups. However, I must try to resist the urge because I'm going away for a long weekend next week and need to do a mammoth housework purge before I go At the moment, any burglar would think someone else had beaten them to it

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

LOL Jay, just leave the door open, maybe they'll take pity on you a tidy up a bit. ;D
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              LOL Jay, just leave the door open, maybe they'll take pity on you a tidy up a bit. ;D
              Anne
              :D :D - that I should be so lucky!

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I love the yorkshire collection. Most of my english heritage is from yorkshire. I get a little annoyed that they don't finish the yorkshire stuff before adding other counties though. I know of plenty of records that aren't included at this stage, and some parishes aren't included at all. Also the date ranges need to be extended. Some parishes only cover up to around 1840, and it would be helpful to get christenings or marriages after that. Especially since some places have records up to the 1930's. FMP seems to be consolidating parish records from the middle counties. Great for diversity, but not so much for my lines.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  I love the yorkshire collection. Most of my english heritage is from yorkshire. I get a little annoyed that they don't finish the yorkshire stuff before adding other counties though. I know of plenty of records that aren't included at this stage, and some parishes aren't included at all. Also the date ranges need to be extended. Some parishes only cover up to around 1840, and it would be helpful to get christenings or marriages after that. Especially since some places have records up to the 1930's. FMP seems to be consolidating parish records from the middle counties. Great for diversity, but not so much for my lines.
                  In mitigation for FMP, Yorkshire is a big county and by tradition, it was split into the 3 ridings, each with its own county town and record office. In addition, the PR for some church administrative areas were deposited in the Borthwick Institute at York, a parallel "record office," independent of the 3 local authorities. So, at least 4 major repositories, that's quite a lot of negotiating for FMP to do, more than with most other counties. Also Ancestry have the franchise for West Yorkshire PR.
                  Pre internet, when I had to visit the record offices in person, it could very frustrating. My rellies were ag labs, often moving from situation to situation ( and homes) on a yearly basis. My village is on the boundary of two different record repositories; if a family moved to the next farm, then that could be in a different parish and needing a visit to different record office. (Always the chance that when you got there the records hadn't been deposited, or the family had gone non/con for a while!)
                  So, I relish the opportunity to research from home and to be able to download the images rather than having to make my own transcriptions.
                  I'm grateful for any new online records, even if it's only for 5 to 10 years. I think FMP have done a sterling job. However, we're never satisfied - each find throws up more requests, leading us to want even more records to be available!:D

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I don't think what is available is totally at the control of FMP. As Janet says, Yorkshire is a big country with records held at multiple sites. I think what becomes available online is very much at the whim of the Record Offices and they all have different policies. Some ROs have been very much against putting records online, but I think we are seeing a change now.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The parishes i'm talking about are neighbouring to existing ones in the collection, and FMP has some transcripts for the parish in question. So not a question of which record office has it. It does occur maybe some records maybe are still with the church. But one i'm thinking of is large so unlikely.

FMP also has the west riding, so not exclusive to ancestry, but they did have it first.

Comment

It's also dependent on the filming of the original registers, which was done some years ago. If you go to the record office there's no guarantee that universal dates are available on film/fiche for each parish.
                        Is it north or east ridings that you're dealing with? I am more familiar with the old east riding and the Borthwick record offices than I am with any west riding records. I have relatively few west riding events, so have found the Ancestry collection okay. Easier than the drive, anyway!

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                        X