John Everitt death 1838 Nottingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Everitt death 1838 Nottingham

John is my 4 x GGF, his wife is Elizabeth and they had 11 children in Doncaster between 1810 and 1828. His occupation is a painter on the baptisms. Historical directories for 1822 and 1827-8 have him as a painter, guilder and carver.

I have known for a long time that his wife and some of the children were in Nottingham by 1841 and have a death certificate for John Everitt dated 12 Dec 1838. He is down as a fender maker and aged 70 and died of old age. The informant was William Hopkin occupier Middleton Place Lenton.

This certificate was dismissed as not the right one way back in 2008. The occupation and age were wrong. I decided he must have died in Doncaster and all the family then came to Nottingham.

Recently I have been relooking at this and found he was made bankrupt in Doncaster 29 Jan 1830. It is in most of the newpapers. Then found in 1832 he is a bit of a con-man in Nottingham buying off people or at auction in Doncaster and then not paying for the items and selling them for very little money.

I am now beginning to wonder if this is him now and he died in a workhouse in Lenton but can't find much on him. His wife died in 1842 and is buried at the General Cemetery but he was buried at St Nicholas church. Elizabeth's death cert says she is the wife of John a painter.

I know quite a lot about the family so just need views and advice on this death or one that fits him.

I think he was born about 1780-1 but not really sure about this.

Thanks for reading all this and please ask if you need anymore info.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Lin can see only one death reg on FM P for 1838 Dec q. Radford reg.
    There is also on FMP a National Burial index record which could match that death reg.

Everett, John b 1760
    Buried 16 Dec 1838
    St Peter Anglican

Vera

Comment

That is the one I have and like you the only one I can find. Just the age and occupation that makes me concerned.

Thanks.
      Lin

Comment

Does a fender maker make fireplace fenders? Maybe not that far removed from carving and painting?
        Anne

Comment

The info on the death certificate is only as good as the informant's knowledge (or what they wanted to tell the registrar!). Given his dodgy dealings, the truth might need embroidering. Who was the informant?
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

[QUOTE=

His wife died in 1842 and is buried at the General Cemetery but he was buried at St Nicholas Church[/QUOTE] Is there any more information attached to the St Nicholas Church burial?

The burial grounds are different.

If Elizabeth's dc said she was the wife of John, as opposed to widow, perhaps he died after her.

Vera

Comment

These are all the lines I have gone through and really needed someone to have a look to see if they could see something different.

I didn't get a copy of the burial at St Peters as I didn't think it was the right man. That burial fits in with the death cert but it said he was 78 on the burial disc I have and he was from New Lenton.

Just googled The General Cemetery and it didn't open until Apr 1836 and obviously the churches were still taking burials then.

I think he was in a Workhouse as the informant was William Hopkin occupier Middleton Place. Googled Middleton Place and was New Lenton, to the south of Lenton. This is all very close to the city centre and about a mile away from St Peters Church.

Elizabeths daughter registered her death but might not have though to say widow.

So many 'Ifs and buts' here.

Thanks everyone.
              Lin

Comment

Vera, just forgot to say she is on the 1841 without John but with 3 children so that was what made me think it was right and sent for the certificate all those years ago.
                Lin

Comment

Just throwing this in. Have come across a John Everitt b 1790 ish living in London with a Sarah. He is with her on the 1841 and 1851. He is a carver and gilder b Lincoln. Sarah b Yorkshire. A child Mary b London 1828 is with them.

If I've followed the correct John Jnr they are living in the same area ie Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 16-02-18, 09:06.

Comment

Vera, I am just going out now but will have a look when I get back.

At least one of John and Elizabeth's sons goes to London to live but off hand can't remember who. I know I have had difficulty finding some of them.

Thanks
                    Lin

Comment

I've had a look at this man.

I think I have found him on 1861 and 1871 census. Firstly with Mary(wife) and he was an organ maker born foston Lincs and 1871 with his daughter. There is a baptism in 1795 in Foston for him.

This is too late really as he had his first child in 1810. With him being a guilder and carver made him a good candidate though.
                      Lin

Comment

Lin Is that a different man you have found or the same as the one I found of 1841/51 but with a different occupation. However, the one I found was 1795 dob also so too late as you say for the children born with Elizabeth early 1800's.

Any way Lin in answer to your original query. Cant see that the 1838 one is yours. If it was then when John Snr was doing his wheeling and dealing he would have been 72. Possible I suppose. Occupation I think it way out.

Vera

Comment

Vera

Thanks for all your help. I put the one I have got on one side as at the time I didn't know he had even come to Nottingham. Then when I saw all the newspaper articles I had second thoughts but obviously didn't feel very confident about it. I still don't think it is him though.
                          Lin

Comment

Working...
                          X