Father of John and William Newton called Isaac or John

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father of John and William Newton called Isaac or John

Hi it's a while from I have been on here.
    Having some difficulty William was married 18 Feb 1847 to an Eliza Andrews Smith and John was married 1840 to Elizabeth Hotchen both in Swineshead Lincolnshire. Both are listed as having an Isaac Newton as their father. I have not been able to identify an Isaac as father yet. On 1841 census. Some of Williams children are living with a John 62 years and his wife Ann.
    As Williams 1st wife died in 1840 I wondered if John and Ann were grandparents. If so why is he John and yet Isaac on the marriage page.
    John is 62. So that would make d.o.b. 1779. I have looked marriage between 1799 and 1811 but have not found anything conclusive. There are births for a William and a John in Boston and both are listed to a John and Ann parents. Confusing or what.

I hope you can understand this and any help would be much appreciated.

Was the name of William's first wife Margaret Ackland?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Yes she was.

Comment

Can't say why William and John put Isaac as father on their mc's. Perhaps John was an Uncle.
        There are bap records for a William 1811 and John in 1817, both have John and Ann, Father John being a bricklayer.
        There is a marriage for 1808, Heckington for Ann Stennett, Spinster to John Newton, Bachelor
        Possible other children of that marriage
        Thomas 1809, Ann Stennett 1814, Heckington, Thomas 1820, Robert 1823 Swineshead.
        Ann Stennett's mc in 1839 gives John, Bricklayer as father. Robert, I think married 1855 in Kensington, Thomas b 1820 not married by 1871.

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 14-02-18, 06:39.

Comment

Yes I have the same here Vera. I cannot see an Isaac anywhere. John and Ann are on 1851 with son Thomas.
          Baptism
          John Newton
          25 Jul 1779
          Heckington
          Parents Ann and William
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 14-02-18, 11:36.
          Kat

Comment

Children of William a labourer and Ann/e - naming pattern is good.
            Robert Newton 1766 Heckington Anne William
            William Newton 1767 Heckington Anne William
            Anne Newton 1770 Heckington Anne William
            Elizabeth Newton 1773 Heckington Anne William
            Ann Newton 1775 Heckington Ann William
            Thomas Newton 1776 Heckington Ann William
            John Newton 1779 Heckington Ann William

Again no Isaac.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 14-02-18, 11:58.
            Kat

Comment

Tis a mystery Kat. One could be in error but two seems odd.
              I can see a link to Ann Stennet b 1814. Her husband m 1839 James Willford Dawson is witness at the wedding of John b 1816/7 and vice versa.
              Not an Isaac in sight. No father recorded on William's 1832 m unfortunately.

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 14-02-18, 13:48.

Comment

Thank you all for your help. Confirms what I thought. Can't understand the Isaac bit. But my family seems to have been like that, i.e. name changing etc. I will put parents in as John and Ann as I have copies of some of the documentation you all have referred to. Thank you once again. Most helpful

Comment

Working...
                X