Heir hunter and how to apply an intestate will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for clarifying OC.

That's exactly the approach I am going to take. Speak to the HH, let them know all residue goes to 2 charities and suggest the charity may not be happy to lose out on 25%. Then probably go to the charities to let them know the situation which hopefully won't open a can of worms!!!

Also, I spoke to a local solicitor this morning that deals with wills and probates. They suggested I ask for a draft contract to be sent from the HH with their terms and conditions so this can then be shared with the charities. Solicitor also suggested I may consider taking out insurance in case things go bad......bit worrying!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Yes, the advice from solicitors is always to leave percentages and I understand why, but in the particular will I was involved with executing, the extra amount was less than £4k, but I still had to pay inheritance tax and distribute cheques for £20 in several cases where someone had been left 1%! In fact one person still hasn't cashed their £20 cheque, meaning I have to keep the account open AND keep a huge pile of paperwork some 22 years after the person died.

OC

Are those cheques still valid???

6 months is the limit here.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

No, the cheque is out of date but that doesn't mean I can assume they don't want the money. Their £20 is still sitting in the executors account and there is nothing I can legally do with it.

Not sure how insurance would be relevant in this case as you do not know what amount to insure!

I have been an executor four times now. I will never ever do it again! Three of the four estates threw up unseen and unbelievable complications, even though all the wills had been drawn up by solicitors, and gave me endless worry and work. With hindsight, I should have just renounced my executorship and handed over to the very expensive solicitors, but I didn't because I felt some sort of moral obligation to the deceased. The beneficiaries were not the slightest bit grateful for my trouble and time!

OC

Comment

One more question, if I may, please.

Who deals with the estate of a person who died without a will?

I am assuming the estate of this unknown relative has all been finalised in terms of gathering money from accounts and selling of any property?......I guess it must have been otherwise the government wouldn't know what the value of the estate is.

Thanks

Comment

I have just done a bit more research and understand the estate must have been passed on to the treasury......obviously, I guess, as the estate is on the treasury intestate list.

Presumably the treasury have rounded up all the money?

Comment

Not necessarily, AB. If a property is involved, it is often left unsold until heirs come forward or until the treasury can rightfully claim bona vacantia, 30 years in England and Wales.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC.

If, for example, there is a property, who would then be involved in selling it once the claim with treasury is approved?.......I hope that wouldn't be me!!!???

Comment

AB

No, not you. I THINK the treasury solicitor would handle that as administrator.

Many years ago, my then husband had an elderly unmarried uncle who died intestate. He owned a bungalow. A solicitor appointed by the treasury handled the estate. It took nearly seven years to sort out and contact all the heirs, huge family. The bungalow was then sold, practically derelict and we got enough money to buy a teaset!

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X