Which site to believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
    Yes Herky, 1816. I didn't notice the typo until I'd posted.
    Except for the 1841 census all this chap's records show him being born in c1820 so it's good to get his actual birth date at last.
    Yes - I find in Scotland you need quite a large margin on birth years on the census - they are often way out. I would expect that in death certs where the informant may be poor but it is strange that folks just didn't know their age. I guess understandable - a child may be put to work before he/she should be due to need and as the years go on they assume their age to be older than it is.
    Ah, the fun of the hunt for records!
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I've always found the english to be accurate with age, but never know family relationships. Whereas irish and scots are quite flexible with age but know the relationships. (coming from australian records that record parents names on everything).

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
        How do I do that?
        There's an insert image icon on the compose menu bar - two along on the right from the smiley face.

Comment

[QUOTE=kylejustin;2621642]I've always found the english to be accurate with age...QUOTE]

Hmmph!! You should see my father's great aunt Prudence. She was most creative in that regard LOL

Comment

OK I'll try that.

George son of Charles and Agnes.jpg

Not sure if that will work.
            I'm a bit of a dumbo when it comes to computers!

P.S.

Just had a look and it seem ok.
            Last edited by Cath RJ; 02-02-18, 10:01.
            Cath.

Comment

Well done that minister or session clerk. A birth date as well as a baptism. Only thing missing is an abode. But hey! it's a Scottish register, we are grateful for what we do get :o Some are as spare in detail as X son/dau. of X and the mother isn't mentioned. You can be sure the legitimacy or otherwise of baby X is recorded though!
              There is more than one church in Dumfries and there used to be many more. Did SP tell you which church register this is?
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 02-02-18, 10:39.

Comment

No they didn't but I suspect it's St. Michael's . That's where the family memorial is.

I think I've got the abode from the Dumfries police tax book for his father in 1810/18. He's still at the same address in 1841 by which time George has moved out on marriage.

Poor George was killed in a very nasty accident in 1858.
                Last edited by Cath RJ; 02-02-18, 10:58.
                Cath.

Comment

Pleased for you result - full set - yippeee!!
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                  X