Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing on the 1861 census....

Hello folks,
    I am searching for DANIEL OWEN/S (c 1822) & his wife SARAH OWEN/S on the 1861 Census (I have them on the 1871/1881) they were married in 1859 & their daughter ELIZABETH ANN is 10 on the 1871 so she "might" be hiding with them on the 1861. They lived in BAGILLT, FLINTSHIRE, WALES. Daniel was working in a rope works on the 1841/1851 - but on the 1871/1881 census he is listed as an Engine Driver - so I have no idea what his occupation was on the 1861. Any help or advise on how I can find them will much appreciated....many thanks.
    Skylark.
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Skylark

Don't be misled by the occupation of engine driver. In Victorian times it almost certainly meant he operated a stationary engine in a factory, not, as we would assume now, a railway engine driver. A railway train driver was called a locomotive driver.

I know all this because I spent many years believing my ggf was a locomotive engine driver. He wasn't, he "drove" a stationary factory engine in a mill.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 20-01-18, 14:33.

Comment

Thank you for that info...I suppose he could have been an "engine driver" in the rope works.
      Thanks again
      Skylark.
      Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

I can't find them in 1861, but as Elizabeth Ann was registered in the Dec quarter of 1859 (Holywell ref 11B Page 252) she should be somewhere too.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Is it possible she was with her grandparents? What their names?
          Edit:
          Elizabeth Ann b 1860 I mean.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 20-01-18, 17:13.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

sorry cannot find any of them

Comment

Is it possible they lived at the same address? if so you could try searching the address rather than the name. All sorts of errors occur in transcriptions
              ~Val~

Comment

Have you tried searching on forenames and birth year +/- 2?
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Information about Missing Census Records by Clwyd Family History Society. Encouraging the study of genealogy and family history in north-east Wales.

according to this link there are many census records missing for North East Wales for 1841 and 1861. Holywell, Flintshire is on the list for 1861

Vera

Comment

thanks for that Vera, I tried again last night, did wonder about that.

Comment

I went to browse Ancestry for Flintshire and wondered where all the reg districts were. Still the exercise is good for the grey matter or so I've been told.

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 21-01-18, 16:13.

Comment

Thank You Vera - I think you have solved the mystery of why this family are missing on the 1861 - my genuine thanks to all you kind folk who have taken the time to look for the Owen/s, I appreciate your help.
                        Many thanks to you all.
                        Skylark.

Comment

Working...
                        X