Certified copy of a death entry 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankyou AntonyM!

Can you suggest a reason why this cert shows no cause of death, other than the copy has been tampered with (photo shopped perhaps?) before sending it to Leicestershire Lass?

Amongst my late father's papers was a request to the registrar for a short copy of his birth certificate as he had misplaced his original. In my father's case, it was certainly meanness that prompted the short version!

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 20-01-18, 11:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      T
      Can you suggest a reason why this cert shows no cause of death, other than the copy has been tampered with (photo shopped perhaps?) before sending it to Leicestershire Lass?
      OC
      Impossible to say without seeing what it is - We have no idea what the certificate looks like (only a stock photo of a blank form), or who issued it or where it came from. If it came from another family member maybe they wanted to keep the cause private, but that would be obvious when you look at it. I'd be happy to look at it if she sends me a copy.

It may well be a coroners interim cert - if the practical things have been dealt with by the time of an inquest sometimes the family don't bother getting a copy of the actual death certificates once it is registered.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Amongst my late father's papers was a request to the registrar for a short copy of his birth certificate as he had misplaced his original. In my father's case, it was certainly meanness that prompted the short version!
      OC
      Short certificates used to be of much more use, and accepted for official purposes, than they are now..... so it may have made financial sense to get another one at that time. The only official use that I know of for them at the moment is to support a Child Benefit application
      Last edited by AntonyM; 20-01-18, 11:30.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Samples of the following certificates are show on the urls below

Redacted Interim Certificate of the Fact of Death
        anguline.co.uk/cert/cor.jpg

Redacted Abbreviated Extract of Death

Redacted Extract of an Entry in a Register of Deaths
        http://anguline.co.uk/cert/erd.jpg

Yes the Abbreviated Death Certificate is Scottish
        Cheers
        Guy
        PS the Abbreviated Death Certificate can be used for most circumstances where proof of death is required.
        I used the Coroners Interim Certificate of the Fact of Death to open a 1939 redacted entry as there is no legal reason why an entry of a deceased person may be redacted by the GRO
        Last edited by Guy; 20-01-18, 19:31.
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Sorry the links dont work in my previous post Please just type the urls in
          Cheers
          Guy
          Last edited by Guy; 20-01-18, 19:38.
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

From memory, the "short" one is free at the time of the occurrence, but the full one must be paid for.

Comment

Ebor

According to our member AntonyM, who is a former registrar, there is no short version of a death certificate in England and Wales.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X