Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vera. Both mother and daughter were in Buxton in 1851. The mother is now Louisa King, having married Francis King in March 1845. Francis lived in Buxton. Hannah is 75 in the 1851 census and living in lodgings at Buxton so it is likely that the death you found for Hannah Bamford is probably her. I never thought about the Workhouse but Philip was only 11. Would a sole 11 year old be taken into a workhouse? Also Philip was born in Wortley. Perhaps he was in a workhouse in the Wortley/Penistone/ Barnsley area?

Comment

As far as I am aware, I nave sern nothing to suggest that Philip was ever in Lancashire. His life seems to have occured in Wortley, Buxton, Derby, Sheffield, and finally Rotherham, where he died.

Comment

Perhaps he was just missed of the list as the enumerator copied it out? :(
        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Thetallone View Post
          I never thought about the Workhouse but Philip was only 11. Would a sole 11 year old be taken into a workhouse? Also Philip was born in Wortley. Perhaps he was in a workhouse in the Wortley/Penistone/ Barnsley area?
          I was thinking as he was not with either grandmother or mother at the time of the 1851 he may have been ill and been admitted
          to the Workhouse infirmary or fever hospital.

Unfortunately there are no Chapel en le Frith Workhouse records for that period in the Archives.

I have just been looking at an Ann Bamford nee Hubbard married with child Louisa in a couple of Census in Lancashire but maybe not yours? No Philip with her.

Vera

Comment

I have just been looking at an Ann Bamford nee Hubbard married with child Louisa in a couple of Census in Lancashire but maybe not yours? No Philip with her.

Vera
            It is unlikely that this is the same Ann Bamford as in the 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 show her with Philip and an increasing number of kids. However, Philip did have a daughter named Louisa, after his mother preumably.
            Last edited by Thetallone; 15-01-18, 14:51. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

Were Philip's parents Dennis and Caroline, by any chance ? Both born in Ireland ?
              because there's a Philip Dolan living with the above in 1851, in Salford, Manchester.
              This Philip was born in Manchester, in 1835.

Comment

Philip's parents were Louisa Bamford and Peter Dolan. They never married and it seems Peter did a runner before or just after Philip was born.

Comment

Working...
                X