No announcement yet.

Some people really

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats exactly what I did Janet, I started with all the certs, from my Nans side , including 13 of her children, Birth Marriages Deaths, cost me a small fortune but well worth it, as I knew hardly anything about them and who they married etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      An example. At least 5 Ancestry trees have one James Sykes (who married Charlotte Arrand) dying on 20 Sep 1936. I have no idea, because none of them have a source for the date, where that date came from.

Further investigation shows that no-one called James Sykes had a death registered in Q3 1936, anywhere in England and Wales, let alone the likely area of Lincolnshire. A little more searching shows James and Charlotte alive and kicking on the 1939 Register and that he probably died in Q4 1941. I cannot find any Probate listing or newspaper reports so can’t be certain without a death certificate.

This is how I investigate each and every person on my tree as I work through it, checking as I go. I do not and never have taken the first source that someone gives as gospel. As for those without a source for a fact I take little notice of them. In this case and many others those trees are in error and unsourced, just copied from each other. So far I have spent about 18 months doing this checking. Hope I have enough time left LOL.
      Anne
      Well Anne perhaps I have a different mind set to you because I can quote one of mine who is well documented by me through Birth Certificate and documents, photos and postcards, proven family lore given to me by my mother, but who happens to be on Wikipedia with a totally different record of birth etc. I hooted when I saw the Wikipedia account, but everybody without fail has faithfully copied Wikipedia and they are all wrong! I have her exact death date on my Ancestry tree but nobody will find her death date because she did not die in the UK. The postcards I had led me to her places of work and her last known place before she died and I know exactly where she died as I have visited and have the proof of death and her burial place of which I have photographs, but I assume, from what you have previously said you would be one of those believing Wikipedia rather than writing to me with the mostly unsourced tree?

Janet

Comment

No, Janet. I would be equally hooting with laughter at the wiki tree if I couldn't find the source for myself.
        If I found your tree I would diligently search for myself to try and find the record. If I couldn't find it I would leave it 'open'. I have not, as yet, contacted anyone with a tree on Ancestry. Maybe I should! LOL. I thought the above example showed how I don't take for gospel stuff on other trees. If it had been sourced I would evaluate the source myself. As it was I found other information proving them wrong.

Not sure how many times I have to say I don't copy stuff from other trees. doesn't anyone believe me? Please? :( *Feeling dejected*
        Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 09-02-18, 17:33.

Comment

No, Janet. I would be equally hooting with laughter at the wiki tree if I couldn't find the source for myself.
          If I found your tree I would diligently search for myself to try and find the record. If I couldn't find it I would leave it 'open'. I have not, as yet, contacted anyone with a tree on Ancestry. Maybe I should! LOL. I thought the above example showed how I don't take for gospel stuff on other trees. If it had been sourced I would evaluate the source myself. As it was I found other information proving them wrong.

Not sure how many times I have to say I don't copy stuff from other trees. doesn't anyone believe me? Please? :( *Feeling dejected*
          Anne
          From what I have read, Anne, you have made it clear about how you source the info you see and that you don't copy trees, please don't feel dejected....what you are saying is there for all to see...
          Jacky

Comment

Anne
            Anne who mentioned Wiki tree? I said WIKIPEDIA. Mind you, do not believe WIKIPEDIA either, not after my experience!! I tried to contact Wikipedia to correct the information. Sometimes Anne you need a little helping hand from Relative's documents to find Births Marriages and deaths, especially when you have to look at 3 European countries for said BMD even thogh the person was born in the UK and my death date was meant to be a clue, not full blown information, for someone to be curious enough to know how I have found the death date!! But it It is their loss, not mine as I have the info and they haven't! I have just written a 60 page document on this person, compete with sources, BMD etc but I am not sure where to put it yet!! I suppose I am still an pld fashioned Family Historian! I hope I have not accused you of copying Anne?

Janet
            Janet

Comment

Guy ...............

I have all the proof for my own trees, certificates and online sources such as parish records, plus combining with a certain cousin who does the leg work in England and has been doing since the 1970s.

It is very easy for us to tell when others with our trees are just copying without checking.

I did not say that I dismissed trees with unsourced records when looking fro other people ........... this is what I wrote ..........

As a result, I'm very wary of any unsourced tree. I do look at other trees (if any), and again it is easy to see who has just copied.

I usually take trees as an indication of where I might look when helping others ........... if I can find any documentation fairly easily to prove or disprove the information found.

I don't dismiss out-of-hand any trees other than those for my own families where I immediately can tell that they have married the wrong "John" to the wrong "Elizabeth", made worse by adding 10 extra children belonging to other Johns and Elizabeths.

It is very easy for you to be judgemental without knowing any of us personally, but I do wish you would stop it.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have tried to contact several ancestry tree holders, only one has ever replied and she did at least have the decency to admit she had just copied someone else's tree. She didn't correct her tree though and didn't want any further contact with me. No loss to me, big loss to her.

OC

Comment

Guy ...... We've had this conversation before!!!!! Be careful what you assume about me. ;)
                  Anne

Not assuming anything Anne. ;)
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

In general, i find i have more information than other ancestry trees. I certainly don't have everything i know on my tree.

Most of the trees i get hints for aren't even connected, just looking at the link in the hints tells me most times i don't even need to view it to know it's not applicable. (wrong country/county of birth, wrong year, sometimes by a century, wrong parents/wife/children)

Of the others, there are quite glaring mistakes, showing people haven't spent time looking for a census or a bmd, or haven't viewed a burial. I also have fmp, which has a lot of records ancestry doesn't, and if people had known about or used it, probably would have come to the same conclusions.

I only ever look at family trees if they have a date i haven't found or a relationship i was unaware of or evaluating. Looking at trees sometimes you can workout how they got the info, if it's quite important i message and ask.

I always check the original images of records before accepting them as fact. Some i tentatively accept as the best fit so far, knowing i need more info to prove or disprove the fact. Rarely have i found family lore correct on a subject. Usually a grain of truth.

I have an ancestor who was quite wealthy in australia, lost all in the depression of the 1890's, but had all the stories of gentry upbringing and wealth. My cousins believe all this and look for the evidence. Of which there is none.....whereas i believe he was a convict (same name, age and birthplace) and can trace the convict from his 1833 arrest in england to his freedom in 1840 in tasmania. After this the convict disappears, and the "gentleman" appears from 1842 in victoria.....the character of the gentleman from servants testimony of treatment in newspaper articles also closely mirrors the convict reports of character....people believe what they want to believe.

Comment

I think this is one of the areas where we all do things our way and expect "everyone" to do it the same as us and it always gets contentious!! Please play nicely.

We do need to read replies carefully - I very nearly posted a reply yesterday which would have jumped on somebody and then read their post again and didn't post ..... then we have the issues of how we come over in print with no sound.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

sorry I got hot under the collar
                        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          In general, i find i have more information than other ancestry trees. I certainly don't have everything i know on my tree.

I always check the original images of records before accepting them as fact. Some i tentatively accept as the best fit so far, knowing i need more info to prove or disprove the fact. Rarely have i found family lore correct on a subject. Usually a grain of truth.

I have an ancestor who was quite wealthy in australia, lost all in the depression of the 1890's, but had all the stories of gentry upbringing and wealth. My cousins believe all this and look for the evidence. Of which there is none.....whereas i believe he was a convict (same name, age and birthplace) and can trace the convict from his 1833 arrest in england to his freedom in 1840 in tasmania. After this the convict disappears, and the "gentleman" appears from 1842 in victoria.....the character of the gentleman from servants testimony of treatment in newspaper articles also closely mirrors the convict reports of character....people believe what they want to believe.
                          Stories without follow up is one thing and we all have family myths! BUT follow up family myths and you can usually find there is SOME truth in the myth and I have found some strange truths amongst my myths. However, my family lore was quite factual, postcards written by person mentioned in another post, with addresses attached to said postcard showing names of people said person worked for.so those addresses were easy to track down and the last known address with date was followed up and from that a visit to the Registration Office produced a Death Certificate and place of burial. My mother had not followed the clues and she could only tell me the country she disappeared, which would have been useless to me as the country does not deliver BMD nationwide, you needed to know the exact place. This death will not be found without these postcards. I have a few stories like this which have been well proven, so again I would say do not dismiss Family lore/myths,tales whatever you lie to call them but try to prove them right or wrong. For as many I have proved wrong, I have proved many to be correct though not always in the most obvious way! This is where I have always valued letters, stamp collections, envelopes, postcards and other family items passed down the generations. They often contain clues which may not be appreciated by one generation but appreciated by another generation.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 10-02-18, 10:59.

Comment

The one family myth I was most concerned about revealing concerned my about-to-be-90 auntie's grandmother, who according to family lore emigrated to warm climes and lived happily ever after. The truth was more prosaic: she married, had a child, had an affair (partner died a few years later of TB), married a thrice-married pub landlord and then died herself of TB not long after her 30th birthday. The fruits of the affair are alive and kicking in New Zealand; my aunt's brother and his NZ contemporary could have been twins.
                            Fortunately my aunt suspected something of the sort and wasn't at all upset.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                            X