Worth revisiting databases, from time to time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth revisiting databases, from time to time

I've been able to find some lovely material from the British Newspaper Archives on FMP. From time to time, I go back for another look, because they upload more material every so often.

I had a look on Saturday evening, and found some more references to my parents' entertainment activities in the 1940s, and one of the articles included a cast photo, in which my father was easily identifiable. It's such a delight to find these things... It helps that my father was no shy violet, so was involved in a number of things that brought him to the attention of the newspapers. Clergy who entertain the public seem to be intriguing to the papers, so his footballing and singing activities attracted the reporters.

All the databases get changes of one kind or another - additional material is the obvious thing, but there are also corrections. We've all seen some diabolical transcriptions, in our time, and (I hope) submitted corrections. There's always a chance that some name of yours that was impossibly wrong has been put right by some passing enthusiast, and will now appear in a search where they were invisible before.

Happy New Year - and Happy Hunting!
    Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

In absolute agreement with you Christine - a strategy I apply to ALL databases.
    Thrilled for you that you managed to find articles about your parents. I was delighted to find a report of the wartime marriage of my parents - hadn't known that Mum's two younger sisters had been bridesmaids and that both they and Mum had carried floral arrangements of gladioli and greenery (suspect these had come from the family garden.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have lately been going back ,and finding stuff that wasn't there before. Always worth another look.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        In absolute agreement with you Christine [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Anguline\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\c lip_image002.gif[/IMG]- a strategy I apply to ALL databases.
        Thrilled for you that you managed to find articles about your parents. I was delighted to find a report of the wartime marriage of my parents - hadn't known that Mum's two younger sisters had been bridesmaids and that both they and Mum had carried floral arrangements of gladioli and greenery (suspect these had come from the family garden.)

Jay
        I totally agree, even more so with the number of “browse only” databases that the big companies are releasing these days.
        These databases are by and large unindexed and only by checking each image do we reveal all the information available.

Apart from finding new information is good to be able to download images of records that previously were only available if one transcribed the information.

One word of caution when downloading images make sure you add information that identifies what the image is. A url or a source may “identify” where the image has come from but a description such as [baptism record, St Mary the Virgin, Bottesford, Leicestershire, date or page etc.] means far more to a person.

Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

And to add to that a word of caution about images of PRs. They don't always have the correct title and some are just madly wrong! Browse to the front of the book of images to make sure of which parish you are looking at. Some of my very early ancestors (1650s to 1700s) were baptised, buried, married in the church at Kippax in Yorkshire. Ancestry has this labelled as Hunslet Moor, Yorkshire .... a parish which didn't exist then. Ancestry have been told but have never corrected it.
          Anne

Comment

There are numerous records like that on Ancestry.

Comment

One word of caution when downloading images make sure you add information that identifies what the image is. A url or a source may “identify” where the image has come from but a description such as [baptism record, St Mary the Virgin, Bottesford, Leicestershire, date or page etc.] means far more to a person.
              And the pages of which the images are made available aren't always clearly headed up, so it can take longer to work out which kind of register you're looking at - and you may not even be able to tell which church!
              I use the "Get Info" option on our computer to note where the image came from. as well as what it is.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by One word of caution when downloading images make sure you add information that identifies what the image is. A url or a source may “identify” where the image has come from but a description such as [baptism record, St Mary the Virgin, Bottesford, Leicestershire, date or page etc.
                means far more to a person..
                Trying to add source and a meaningful title to a file makes the name extremely complicated.
                I agree with Guy about an easy to identify title, but follow below to add other information to the image.

When you have downloaded the image to your computer.
                Right Click on it
                Scroll down to properties
                Select the tab 'details'
                Here you can record/edit information such as author (source), or long comments, by moving the mouse across to the white space to the right of the heading, which gives you access to a text box to add info.

I do that with URNs for web-sources or User Id for ones shared with me via other subscribers.File properties Capture.JPG
                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 03-01-18, 18:12.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Here's an example of what I do

Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 03-01-18, 18:18.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                  X