Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tell what software I used for my family tree project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tell what software I used for my family tree project?

Hi all,
    some years back I used some software to create my family tree. Since then I reinstalled Windows and reorganized the software on my computer a thousand times.

Now, I'm reorganizing my files and keeping backups etc. and I see the folder of my family tree but I cannot remember what software I used to create it.

I tried Legacy which doesn't seem to recognize it by default as its own doing and when I "import" it, it goes wrong (might be the greek characters in the folder path). I tried The Master Genealogist, and that didn't install correctly.

Here's how the files look like:

and there is a .acc file, as well. I wonder whether anyone can tell what software I used back then to create my family tree so that I can use it again to access my family tree project properly.

thanks

DBF - http://whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/DBF-dBASE-file - DBF files can also be opened by Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.

CDX - https://file.org/extension/cdx - Coral Draw

FPT - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

If you google them you can see how to open them. Do you have or did you used to have Coral Draw?
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-12-17, 10:35.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The files for fpt and cdx look as though they will not open as they appear blank. Looks like only the DBF ones will open - have you tried Excel?

If you don't have Microsoft Office - Excel then use Open Office

Edit : Equivalent to Excel is "CALC"
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-12-17, 10:56.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks Katarzyna.

I'm sure there are multiple programs being able to open this and that extension, but I have used one single program to create this family tree project. I don't want to open the files separately but to spot the one single program that I used to create this project.

Comment

(and btw fpt and ftp are different things. Also, the file transfer protocol is all about transferring files over the internet and is not connected to a specific extension ;) )

Comment

Looks like "Family Origins" files
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I remember having used some freeware. I see that "Family Origins" is paid software. Nevertheless, I downloaded the evaluation version but I don't think that it is the right one. This program seems to store projects with rgmc extensions and I don't have one of those.

Comment

I realize now, it must have been "The Master Genealogist" which has been discontinued.

I must find some proper software to import it there.

Comment

I've imported it to RootsMagic. Now I should learn how to use this program and get a descent family tree print out.

Comment

Working...
                  X