No announcement yet.

Help to find Henry Cross' Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could you ask for this to be linked ,with your other posts about this man, as I just started to look then realised I did ages ago.

Comment

Hi

Sorry slip of the fingers, should have been baptism not birth!

Any Henrys I have found in the 1841 both in Northampton and Marylebone (as I dont know when he moved South) do not tally and none have a father called William. I have also searched for a death for William using a birth year of 1790 +/- 10 years and other variations but unsuccessful again.

The Northampton baptismal records are on line and again I have searched these but wonder whether from your suggestion that I should go through these one by one to see if I can find him. I can dream that he was missed off the transcription!

There are also some Henry Cross' within the Northampton area, who are involved in the shoe making industry, but I have created trees for them and they have theyre own lives (and deaths) which do not tie in with my man.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

Yes I can, do you know who I ask please?

Comment

If he was illegitimate, then he might have made up the name William as his father.

Not unknown, I'm afraid!!! We all have them!

Another possible reason is that father left the family, or died, when Henry was very young, and Henry forgot his Father's name, so again made one up.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Have you checked non-C of E baptisms for Northampton? Have you considered some of the villages on the outskirts of Northampton, e.g Kingsthorpe, Weston Favell, Duston, which are now parts of the city of Northampton?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes, I should have said, my man married twice and gave a different father's name at each marriage, neither was correct.

OC

Comment

Also, william cross may be the name of a step father. Henry could have been born illegitimately or not, and mother remarried to william cross.

Comment

What is William's stated occupation when Henry married?

Do the witness names help or link to any relatives of Henry?

Comment

The surname Cross could have been that of a stepfather (whether he was illegitimate or not) and so may not have been the surname he had at baptism. Alternatively, he may have reverted to the surname Cross after being known by another name as a child. Funnily enough a friend of mine's great grandfather did just that and reverted to his mother's maiden name of Cross (yes, really) after finding he had been born well before his parents' marriage.
                    Anne

Comment

Hi

His occupation is stated as Bootmaker (deceased), as was Henrys occupation.

Witness names one I have found no connection and the other is related to his wife.

Comment

Done. I hope this is the one you mean?
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Was it this one too? They all appear to be about the same thing.

Comment

Hi I started a further post about Henry yesterday which I think "Val" suggested be linked with this one although I was asking a different question. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                              Hi I started a further post about Henry yesterday which I think "Val" suggested be linked with this one although I was asking a different question. Thank you
                              Yes, that's the one that starts on #40 isn't it. They all appear to be about the same man.

Comment

Thank you. Yes about the same man but a different question relating to military births

Comment

Working...
                                X