• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Think you can eliminate this one also.

A William Cross married in 1845 26th December St Giles, Northampton to
    Eliza Schoole
    William Cross Full Age Bachelor Cordwainer Great Russell Street Father William, Cordwainer
    Eliza Schoole Full Age Spinster Great Russell Street Father James, School Master Sgt RA
    Witnesses Finlay McRae and Caroline Pearson
    [url]https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/9199/42672_340640__0005-00027?pid=869605&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3Drmb1812%26_phstart%3DsuccessSourc e%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3DNorthampton shireMarriages%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26gsfn%3Dwilliam%26gsfn_x%3 D0%26gsln%3Dcross%26gsln_x%3D0%26msbdy%3D1824%26ms gdy%3D1847%26msgdy_x%3D1%26msgdp%3D2%26msgpn__ftp% 3DNorthampton,%2520Northamptonshire,%2520England%2 6msgpn%3D86372%26msgpn_PInfo%3D8-%257C0%257C0%257C3257%257C3251%257C0%257C0%257C0%2 57C5277%257C86372%257C0%257C0%257C%26msypn__ftp%3D Northampton,%2520Northamptonshire,%2520England%26m sypn%3D86372%26msypn_PInfo%3D8-%257C0%257C0%257C3257%257C3251%257C0%257C0%257C0%2 57C5277%257C86372%257C0%257C0%257C%26_83004003-n_xcl%3Df%26MSAV%3D1%26uidh%3D326%26pcat%3DBMD_MAR RIAGE%26fh%3D0%26h%3D869605%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos% 3D1&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=r mb1812&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true[/ur

Caroline Cross married in 1845 8th April St Giles Northampton to Charles Pearson
    Caroline Cross 19 Spinster Great Russell Street father William, Shoemaker
    Charles Pearson Full Age Bachelor St Giles St Father Thomas, Whitesmith
    Witnesses William Cross and Emma Cross

Vera
    Thanks Vera, I think I have eliminated this family

Comment

Marriage Certificate/Marriage Banns

Hi

I would be grateful for your views please? Do you think that the information on a marriage bans record on line would be different from a marriage certificate? I have an ongoing conundrum over a father's name, the banns say it is William which confuses me a little and I wondered whether it was worth getting the marriage certificate to see if it said anything different.

Many thanks

Gill

Comment

Marriage banns contain very little information, and I've never seen any online that included the father's name.

The amount of information on the certificate depends on the date. Roughly when is it?

Comment

Hi The marriage date was May 1847

Comment

That is the marriage certificate; you won't get any more information if you send off for it to the GRO or local register office.

Comment

Bear in mind that people sometimes get their father's name wrong (e.g. if they were very young when he died), or sometimes invent a name for him if they were illegitimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                That is the marriage certificate; you won't get any more information if you send off for it to the GRO or local register office.
                Sorry, not allowed to edit my post; I should have said that it's the entry from the original marriage register (not the banns register), and a certificate issued by the GRO or local register office will give exactly the same information.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts. I didn't think I would get any further info if I sent for a marriage certificate.

Comment

Thank you Guy for your comments, they are a very useful thought especially as I cannot find any information on William Cross who appears to be Henry's father. All census show that Henry was born in 1824 circa in Northampton, Northamptonshire and not just the county and was part of the shoe making/boot closer profession.

Thank you once again

Comment

Is there other information you have to try and locate henry's father?

I have many records where the father's name is wrong on marriage records. Sometimes it's the grandfather's name, a step father, i even have a brother in law given! I've even seen the mother's name once or twice in illegitimate cases on a marriage record.

Comment

Hi

My brickwall is that I cannot find a birth for Henry Cross b 1824 circa in Northampton, Northamptonshire. I was using the marriage certificate to see if I could move forward with his father's surname of William, unsuccessfully so far.

I have Henry Cross b circa 1824 in Northampton when he marries Mary Ann Willard in May 1847 and have the relevant family moving forwards but at this point in time cannot go backwards to find a family for him.

On the 1851 census he is in Marylebone, Middlesex with his wife Mary Ann Willard showing his birth place as Northampton, Northamptonshire, as it does all the way through the census.

I have searched, searched and searched again to find his family. There is a couple of Cross families in Northamptonshire, all being involved in shoe/boot making as my Henry was, but they have they're own trees and I can find no way to link them. I have searched the parish registers for his birth in Northampton and the only family I can find is William and Elizabeth Cross who had several children, one of which was a William born 1824 so not my Henry unless that William changed his name to Henry. Again a family of shoe makers.

I can find no family in the 1841 census that has my Henry either in NOrthampton or Marylebone. So hence I am completely stuck!!!

Comment

He may have been born in one of villages just outside Northampton. If he lived out of county when giving census information, the enumerator may have been unfamiliar with the pob and have asked for further clarification and the response was XXXX near Northampton. Or, spouse or in-laws may have supplied the information - they may also have said "near Northampton", "Northampton I think", etc.

Have you looked at the parish records for parts of present day Northampton which used to be separate parishes e.g. Weston Favell, Kingsthorpe or villages a couple of miles from the old town e.g Boughton, Harleston etc? I would start researching for possible baptisms gradually working outwards geographically from Northampton, noting down any possibilities and then following these through in census for elimination purposes. Also, have you checked Middlesex census returns for any other Cross personnel with a Northamptonshire link? The majority of the population of Northampton and surrounding towns and villages worked in the shoe trade (cottage industries pre the Industrial Revolution and mechanisation) and allied leather trades - curriers, fellmongers, boot & shoe makers, cordwainers, then later trade specialities developed - e.g clicker, closer.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                            Hi

I have Henry Cross b circa 1824 in Northampton when he marries Mary Ann Willard in May 1847
                            I think that should be Marylebone, shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                              the only family I can find is William and Elizabeth Cross who had several children, one of which was a William born 1824 so not my Henry unless that William changed his name to Henry. Again a family of shoe makers.
                              I think that's unlikely to be the right family, because that William (senior) was alive in 1851, whereas he's said to be deceased in Henry's marriage cert.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                I think that should be Marylebone, shouldn't it?
                                Hi No according to the census from 1851 onwards he states that he was born in Northampton, Northamptonshire I can find no record for him so far other than his marriage in 1847 in Marylebone and going forward, but nothing backwards.

Comment

Thank you Jay thats helpful. I have already got "trees" for the majority of Cross families in the Northampton area but will revisit these to see if Ive missed anything. Currently going through the parish registers, page by page, looking for his birth. I have worked on the assumption that his birthplace was Northampton so stuck to the parishes in Northampton town itself but will widen my search as suggested. Thank you again for your thoughts.

Comment

People listed as deceased on marriage records often weren't, so that in itself is not enough proof if you have other information.

Comment

Clutching at Straws!

Hi

I have virtually exhausted my current ideas, although I do have a trip planned to the Northampton Archives but would be grateful for your thoughts.

I have for some time been searching for Henry Cross born 1824 c in Northampton. This has been taken from census from 1851 to his death in 1897 (although I can find no proof he lived in Northampton) being in Marylebone, Middlesex in 1851 and then moved to Tunbridge Wells, Kent just before he died.

According to his marriage certificate from 1847 when he married Mary Ann Willard his occupation was boot closer. Northampton having a large population of shoe makers. His marriage certificate states his Father's name was William (deceased).

So, after searching high and low for his birth, and even in the 1841 census, I cannot find him. It was suggested to me that perhaps his Father was in the Army and therefore moved around and perhaps his birth is elsewhere. I have tried some searches on ancestry with just a child called Henry Cross with a father called William with no location unsuccessfully.

My question: is it likely that a child born around 1824 to a military parents might not be registered locally but could it be registered in Army records. As you can see clutching at straws!! He could also have lied about his fathers name and the fact that he was deceased. Who knows, but I'm not ready to let him go yet.

Any thoughts please would be most welcome.

Thank you

Gill

Comment

His birth won't be registered anywhere, pre 1837 you are looking for a baptism of course. How are you ruling out the ones in 1841? He may have been illegitimate.

I have a very similar scenario, almost the same dates and I finally solved it by cross referencing every single baptism I could find, following them forward onto census and eliminating them. Out of nearl 300 (yes, 300!) I was finally left with 4 and the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming that mine was the illegitimate one. Took years of work I'm afraid, but it paid off.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X