Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Roberts, Mount Pleasant

Hello,

i am hoping someone can help me on this as i have spent a very long time trying to search for the family and have not got very far! :(

i wanted to find out when they all died or where it is they have been buried?

there was William Roberts who lived on mount pleasant, his dad is John Roberts (he signed williams death certificate). William died in 1862 at the age of 16 years old and is now buried in St Mary's, Conwy.

John Roberts was an engine driver and i think his wife was Mary?
    But i'm at such a lost end! I'm hoping someone can help me. I was always desperate to find a picture of any of them but at the moment i keep going to dead ends.

Thank you,
    Lauren

There are lots of places called Mount Pleasant, so could you be more precise?
    I see a Welsh connection.

I think we will need a few more details to proceed with certainty.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 27-11-17, 18:29.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Burial of William Roberts - in the parish of Conway, Caernarvonshire - 30 May 1862.
      Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

1861 census as a starting point -
      John Roberts born c1812 - Engine Driver
      Mary Roberts - born c1815 -
      Thomas Roberts born c1845 - Butcher
      William Roberts born c1847 - Tailor
      Address: Mount Pleasant, Conway.

or
      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
      Elaine

Comment

1871 census
        Household:
        John Roberts 65
        Mary Roberts 65
        Thomas Roberts 24
        - still living Mount Pleasant, Conway.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

RG10; Piece: 5736; Folio: 39; Page: 44
        Elaine

Comment

Possible 1881 census for Thomas Roberts - occ butcher (which matches previous census) - living in Llanllechid, Bangor - head of household John Ebenezer Jones.
          Thomas shown as a Servant.

RG11; Piece: 5578; Folio: 60; Page: 9

Struggling to see if parents are still alive by then!
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
            There are lots of places called Mount Pleasant, so could you be more precise?
            I see a Welsh connection.

I think we will need a few more details to proceed with certainty.

Hello,

i had not realised that Mount Pleasant was one of many! I'm quite new to all the Welsh locations. They lived at 236 Mount Pleasant in Conwy. I do have Williams Death Certificate and just today, received his birth certificate too so I'm really hoping it can help!? I was going to attach them to this post but i don't know how you attach it at the moment.

Born 18th May 1846 in Water St, Bangor
            Father is John Roberts
            Mother is Mary Roberts - Formerly "Jones"
            Fathers Rank of Profession - Labourer
            Registered 5th June 1846

Died 27th May 1862 in Mount Pleasant, Conwy
            Son of John Roberts - Engine Driver
            Father was present at the death,
            Registered 29th May 1862

Comment

thank you very much Elaine! I had not seen it on FindMyPast before. Is there anyway to find John and Mary's Marriage certificate? Would it be through the same websites? As i've just received Williams birth certificate today and Mary was formerly known as Mary Jones. I'm really hoping that can put me through deeper roots!

Comment

I can't believe you have found the post in the 1881 census, for a long time i was on and off about whether it could be Thomas Roberts but from the information i have now and from your input, it must be correct! Thomas worked with John, they were both Butchers at the time so i'm presuming that's why they lived together. I'm gutted the death of John and Mary can't be traced :( is there any way to find Thomas's death date? Would i have to research more into John and his family to possibly find Thomas along the way? Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenBailey View Post
                  Is there anyway to find John and Mary's Marriage certificate?
                  I think with such common names it's going to be difficult.
                  They appear on the 1851 census living in Water Street - which matches address on William's birth certificate. They have two children Thomas aged 7 and William aged 5. I can't see them at the moment on the 1841 census to see if there are any more children, which might give you some idea of when they married.

Have checked the parish registers on Findmypast and there are a few marriages in Caernarvonshire between a John Roberts and Mary Jones - but nothing jumps out to say which one, if any, might be yours. The parish registers are far from complete.

As for the deaths of John and Mary. I had a look at the death registrations in Conway between 1861 and 1881 and eliminated those whose age didn't match up. There were a handful of possibles left but no way of knowing which could be yours without buying the certificates - and that is presuming that they stayed in the Conway registration district.
                  Elaine

Comment

Hello, yes for a long time i have only ever seen that they had Thomas and William - no other children.

now that i have Mary's last name as Jones, there are a few possible marriages that i can see with a John Roberts around the time before William/Thomas was born. So i don't know if its worth trying to order all of them and seeing what information shows. It might sound abit stupid, but do you know what a marriage certificate shows?

I was just about to order a birth certificate for Mary aswell to see if it matches the one I've found but i completely forgot that records weren't around before 1837! Gutted! I have no idea when it was that they died, i think the only thing i could do is find more information on Thomas Roberts and see if either of them signed his death certificate and seeing if they were still alive then. I'm gutted how common the names are, it doesn't make the search easy at all!

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenBailey View Post

now that i have Mary's last name as Jones, there are a few possible marriages that i can see with a John Roberts around the time before William/Thomas was born. So i don't know if its worth trying to order all of them and seeing what information shows. It might sound abit stupid, but do you know what a marriage certificate shows?
                      There are some parish registers for Caernarvonshire on Findmypast so worth looking there for any marriages after 1837 before you purchase certificates.
                      If you don't have Fndmypast would suggest you start your search on FamilySearch - https://www.familysearch.org/search/...meFilter=false
                      If you find anything with a link to Findmypast then you might find your local library offers free access - otherwise a month's subscription might be the way to go.

Marriage certificate will show name and age of bride and groom - although sometimes it just states "of full Age" which means over 21 - whether bachelor, spinster or widowed - occupation of bride and groom - address of both - name of father and father's occupation, again for both parties.
                      Witnesses can sometimes be of help if they are family members.

If they married prior to June 1837 then the only entry you would find is in the parish register which doesn't give a lot of information - names of both parties, whether bachelor, spinster or widowed - sometimes gives their parish (or says "of this parish") - witnesses signatures.
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X