New iPad queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New iPad queries

Hubby tells me yesterday that he is thinking of buying me an iPad for Christmas.
    Can anybody tell me please if you can somehow load either or both of these programmes directly into the iPad to save using a cut down app version?
    FTM 2017 and RootsMagic7.
    The reason I ask is that I don't see that FTM has an app at all and RootsMagic app does not support editing. If I took my iPad out on a research trip instead of a laptop, no editing function would be a hassle.

Neither rootsmagic or ftm 2017 can be put on an ipad. Youd need to use apps and Ftm as far as i know do not have one. You would need a windows tablet to run the full versionof rm and ftm 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sue ;)

Comment

Thanks Sue. I can see this ending up being used for internet surfing on the move and as a replacement for my beloved old Kindle. Having a tablet means I'll be able to buy/borrow books in other formats as well as using a Kindle app. Just recently my Kindle has frozen a few times and needs rebooted to get going.I am worried that perhaps it is on its way out. It has been heavily used in the 5 or so years since I've had it. It also had to go into a freezing cold hold on the plane back from Egypt this Spring because of the new anti terrorism rules which came in to force while we were away. I thought as it switched back on ok, I had been lucky that no damage was done but maybe it has had a bit of a shock.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-11-17, 00:21.

Comment

To be perfectly honest GL you'd probably be better off with a windows tablet. You can get the Ancestry app but no app for ftm2017 i'm afraid.

if all you are looking for is a Kindle replacement and surfing tablet then the ipad seems a rather expensive thing to have, whereas android/windows would be just as adequate.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Unfortunately, it has already arrived. Have been setting it up and I love it. A few more things to do and then it goes back in the box till Christmas Day. Silly, I know but he will wrap it up.
          Hubby has had a Samsung android tablet for years now and I could not get on with it at all on the few occasions I had a go.

Comment

If you have an iPad now you could consider the family tree App 'Heredis'. You can send a Gedcom file to it and have the basics of all your stuff on the iPad. You could work on it from there but I prefer to just use it for reference when away from home (Archives, showing to family etc). Every so often I delete the tree and load an updated Gedcom onto it. They are a French company and had a glitch recently but it all seems sorted now.
            Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne.

Comment

Working...
              X