FTM 2006 missing menu options and hanging issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2006 missing menu options and hanging issues

I have this version running on Windows 10 and thought everything was alright till tonight.

I was copying and pasting people from my full tree into another new one which I intend to share with someone once I have converted it to GEDcom.

I could manage about 4 or 5 different copy and paste actions before the programme hung up and I got the wee blue revolving circle - the same one you get when pages hang on the internet. I had to close down the one file that I could and then close the program. On opening the file again I got 1 of 2 things happen. Either the file would re-open and I would get a message to say the file hadn't closed down correctly and I should carry on and see if all was ok or the file would not open I got a message to say it could not be opened and I would need to open it from a backup. A couple of times opening from a backup worked but when I started copying and pasting again, I was prompted to backup again, even though I had just done it! more worryingly, a couple of times, I got a message that the file had been corrupted and it closed down. Mercifully, everything was still there when I tried again.

I got my new file filled in and then opened another blank one intending to set limited information before importing the one I had just made so that all that showed would be names, birth, marriage and death dates. This is when I discovered the "Contents" menu is totally greyed out as are the menus either side of that. So I can't do what I want.

Does anybody have any idea what is wrong? My pc seems otherwise fine. Is it a Windows 10 thing that I cannot fix? Would reinstalling the program from disc work as I still have it?

Hoping somebody has the answer! Thank you.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-11-17, 23:57.

hi GL I did a bit of googling and came up with this

I did take advantage of Mackiev FTM 2017 primarily for the sync function but it was also as I remembered reading somewhere that as more updates come out for windows then you may experience more problems with older versions of FTM. [whether this was scaremongering I have no idea!]
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks. Have posts there.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        Thanks. Have posts there.
        ahh right, sorry.
        Julie

Comment

Have obviously not got rid of this darned predictive text after all.
          I actually wrote "posted" meaning added to the thread you found.
          So far, only response has been to ask me which version of Windows 10 I have and whether or not I have installed the Creator's update or not.

Comment

Have obviously not got rid of this darned predictive text after all.
            I actually wrote "posted" meaning added to the thread you found.
            So far, only response has been to ask me which version of Windows 10 I have and whether or not I have installed the Creator's update or not.
            lol! I knew what you meant!.. Creators update? wassat? [oooohhhh I see creators being ftm?]

I think if it were me, i'd backup what I have and reinstall it, may be it'd give the option to 'fix' rather than reinstall?
            Julie

Comment

Creator's update is their fancy name for a gurt big update a couple of months ago. Presumably years ago they'd have called it Service Pack?

Comment

Look out for the Fall Creators Update coming soon :(
                Anne

Comment

Creator's update is their fancy name for a gurt big update a couple of months ago. Presumably years ago they'd have called it Service Pack?
                  Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  Look out for the Fall Creators Update coming soon :(
                  Anne
                  ahh I see basically a windows update then!
                  Julie

Comment

so you should be on version 1703 then.. [hit your windows key and then type winver in] it'll bring up a box and you should see the numbers 1703. [which is what I am running at the moment, as mine auto updates]
                    Julie

Comment

Yes, the next one due any time soon is version 1709.
                      Have to say I had no probs last time, so hope it will be the same this time.
                      Anne

Comment

Working...
                      X