An "improvident marriage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An "improvident marriage"

East Sussex Record Office catalogue has a reference to letters of 1784 "concerning quitrents and heriots; Dr [Matthew] Pierpoint [of Lindfield] 'in much trouble about his favourite son's improvidently marrying'; extremely cold weather"

I suspect this may be his son John (b1761 Lindfield, d1795 Lindfield), whose first daughter Hopestill was born in 1784 in Lindfield. John's wife was Elizabeth b c1762, bur. 4 Apr 1838 Lindfield, though I can't find a marriage for them, having looked on Familysearch, Ancestry, Find My Past and the Sussex Marriage Index.

There were other Pierpoint sons still alive at the time though, Charles (b1759 Lindfield-d1809 Cuckfield, the next parish) and possibly Richard b1753 who was mentioned in a will of 1776 then disappears.

Any suggestions of where else to look would be welcome.

Have you tried FreeReg?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Sylvia - just took a look, their website is much easier to use than it used to be but I can't find any Pierpoints around 1784.

I was ploughing through the Pierpoint wills last night, Charles Pierpoint's shows that he had no heirs other than his brother. Their father left everything to Charles and John in his will of 1790, so Richard must have died by then though whether he died improvidently married I cannot say.

John's widow Elizabeth left a will, no siblings or nephews/nieces named though so no clues there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        Thanks for the tip Sylvia - just took a look, their website is much easier to use than it used to be but I can't find any Pierpoints around 1784.

I was ploughing through the Pierpoint wills last night, Charles Pierpoint's shows that he had no heirs other than his brother. Their father left everything to Charles and John in his will of 1790, so Richard must have died by then though whether he died improvidently married I cannot say.

John's widow Elizabeth left a will, no siblings or nephews/nieces named though so no clues there.
        Richard may still have been alive but left out of the will because of the 'improvident' marriage.

I have seen it before where wills do not mention some children even though alive, because they already had what they were going to inherit (to avoid death duties) or because the testator decided they didn't deserve anything.

Margaret

Comment

I concede that Richard may still have been alive at his father's death. He was last spotted in 1776 when he was mentioned in his eldest brother's will. He was not mentioned in brother Charles's will of 1809.

Comment

I've now found the improvident marriage, John Pierpoint to Elizabeth Comber by license at Tooting Graveney 23 Dec 1783, their first child arriving around 5 months later.

Comment

people on here never seem to amaze me ,I'd not even heard of an Improvident marriage?, I have an awful lot to learn still.

Comment

Val

I don't think an " improvident marriage" is a thing, it is just how that person described the marriage of his son, meaning he didn't approve of it!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Val

I don't think an " improvident marriage" is a thing, it is just how that person described the marriage of his son, meaning he didn't approve of it!

OC
                  Well, I've learned something new today!
                  Jacky

Comment

Yes, there's a letter somewhere in East Sussex Record Office where the father complains of his son's improvident marriage. He must have come round though as he remembered the grandchild in his will.

Comment

thanks both , amazing what you learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                        Yes, there's a letter somewhere in East Sussex Record Office where the father complains of his son's improvident marriage. He must have come round though as he remembered the grandchild in his will.

.......... or he wasn't visiting the sins of the parents on the innocent child.

I have seen mention of improvident marriage when one of the spouses was of a very different lower class than the other. It could be the daughter of the house marrying the gardener, or the son marrying a maid.
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                          I have seen mention of improvident marriage when one of the spouses was of a very different lower class than the other. It could be the daughter of the house marrying the gardener, or the son marrying a maid.
                          Interesting possibility Sylvia, the marriage was by license, obtained 4 days earlier. He was a surgeon from Lindfield in Sussex, not sure where the bride was from but Comber is a common Sussex name.

Comment

Working...
                          X