Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying twice!!

Hi,
    I have been involved in family history with Ancestry for many years but earlier this year I got involved with the American Family Tree Maker who appear to be taking over the practical hardware written record side of the game. At the moment I am paying two suppliers - Ancestry and FTM. Could somebody explain how this works in plain English it was total confusion a few months ago and remains so to me?
    For me it means that I use either Ancestry OR FTM or use another Family tree programme.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Breton

FTM is a program you buy and install on your computer to record your research & build a family tree ..... Ancestry is a subscription website you use to access records that also has the ability to build a tree on-line (that isn't held on your computer or under your control). The two systems can be run together and kept synchronised, or independently, and one doesn't need the other.

The confusion has probably arisen because FTM used to be published and sold by Ancestry, but has now been taken over by a different software company (Mackiev). When I teach, I find a lot of people get confused with the difference between on-line trees, and stuff you have stored on your own computer - they tend to end up working on both and getting into quite a mess.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Would it be safer to back everything up on FTM? I sometimes wonder what would happen if Ancestry got hacked.

Comment

Family Tree Maker (FTM) was originally developed by Banner Blue Software,
        which was purchased by Brøderbund FTM was then passed through a variety of companies including The Learning Company, Mattel until it was bought by Ancestry.
        Ancestry sold it to Software MacKiev in 2016

In my opinion the best way to compile your research is under your own control (i.e. on a private computer) if it is in the cloud it is open to hackers anywhere in the world.

Of course having on your own computer means it is your responsibility to safeguard what you have by making backups using virus protection etc.

Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
          In my opinion the best way to compile your research is under your own control (i.e. on a private computer) if it is in the cloud it is open to hackers anywhere in the world.

Of course having on your own computer means it is your responsibility to safeguard what you have by making backups using virus protection etc.
          Completely agree - keep your data and all your research under your control, on your computer (and with a copy on paper) ....copy it online if you want to (and understand what that means) but do not trust any website to look after it for you.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I have followed FTM all the way through from BannerBlue (a MSDos version on several floppy disks) all the way through to the Mackiev 2017 version. The only stuff I have ever put online was the surname collection on FTF, which I haven't updated (or looked at!) for ages.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X