Elusive Royal Navy Scott great grandad stationed in Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
    You need his birth cert to go back further though.
    Margaret
    Agreed, i wonder if they would allow it if i dont know his parents names :/

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
      Found this, I wonder if you can tap in and see if you can get any info here.....maybe worth a try.

https://embassy-finder.com/united-ki...a_malta?page=2
      Thank you Tilly! I shall explore!

Comment

You need his birth cert to go back further though.
        Margaret
        I do want to know the end of his story thou. It just cut's half way before his daughter is even born. (cut is in 1930, daughter born 1934). I just need some closure on the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by elenasavi View Post
          Agreed, i wonder if they would allow it if i dont know his parents names :/
          You will need to contact them and say what the issue is and see what they say.

There must be a way for family historians to explore their family trees.

Margaret

Comment

You will need to contact them and say what the issue is and see what they say.

There must be a way for family historians to explore their family trees.

Margaret
            Hopefully there is!
            I do wonder why he just goes "poof" from the record once he is assigned an LX number, i know LX change came with a pay-cut after some googling, but why is there no continuation of his service record under the new number. It's odd. He didn't die yet at that point and the character reviews were yearly.

Comment

Hopefully there is!
              I do wonder why he just goes "poof" from the record once he is assigned an LX number, i know LX change came with a pay-cut after some googling, but why is there no continuation of his service record under the new number. It's odd. He didn't die yet at that point and the character reviews were yearly.
              Well it could just be that the records were held elsewhere and not preserved in the same way the others were. The Navy records would be subject to Civil Service rules of retention which are fairly onerous whereas the other records may have been in civilian hands and therefore only kept whilst someone was alive.

It looks to me that his service record was complete as it says he's done enough years for his pension so maybe that's why those records were kept more safely as they would be needed later on to calculate and verify pension entitlement when he came to draw it.

It would be helpful to know if any of the LX series of records were kept or not and if so where.

Margaret

Comment

Well it could just be that the records were held elsewhere and not preserved in the same way the others were. The Navy records would be subject to Civil Service rules of retention which are fairly onerous whereas the other records may have been in civilian hands and therefore only kept whilst someone was alive.

It looks to me that his service record was complete as it says he's done enough years for his pension so maybe that's why those records were kept more safely as they would be needed later on to calculate and verify pension entitlement when he came to draw it.

It would be helpful to know if any of the LX series of records were kept or not and if so where.

Margaret
                You were right Margaret. The records are indeed elsewhere, with MOD, as it's after 1030's! Essentially, it'a all hidden until we will go into 2025's-2035's. I do not particularly fancy waiting 20-30 years for them to become available. So i have to file a request to even have a chance of seeing them. And they could refuse. Im not sure if i should file as next of kin (our closes next of kin to him who's living would be his granddaughter). Or as a general Enquiry.
                So it turns out records after 1930s are kept by MOD and are NOT disclosed publicly. Takes £30 and a month of waiting. :(

Comment

You were right Margaret. The records are indeed elsewhere, with MOD, as it's after 1030's! Essentially, it'a all hidden until we will go into 2025's-2035's. I do not particularly fancy waiting 20-30 years for them to become available. So i have to file a request to even have a chance of seeing them. And they could refuse. Im not sure if i should file as next of kin (our closes next of kin to him who's living would be his granddaughter). Or as a general Enquiry.
                  So it turns out records after 1930s are kept by MOD and are NOT disclosed publicly. Takes £30 and a month of waiting. :(
                  Ah! so they are deemed to be WWII records. I had to pay £30 to get my father's record - I had to provide a death cert but in your case his date of birth would surely suffice!

As regards next of kin I think the application asks you to say what relationship you are and confirm you are next of kin eg widow, son, daughter etc. so providing one of those people can fill out the form and sign accordingly you should get the records.

Margaret

Comment

Ah! so they are deemed to be WWII records. I had to pay £30 to get my father's record - I had to provide a death cert but in your case his date of birth would surely suffice!

As regards next of kin I think the application asks you to say what relationship you are and confirm you are next of kin eg widow, son, daughter etc. so providing one of those people can fill out the form and sign accordingly you should get the records.

Margaret
                    So if his grand-daughter applied (as closer kin is dead) - would she be considered next of kin?

Im glad to hear that you managed to get the records, i think if you're family £30 is an extortionate price! But what you said gives me hope
                    Would you happen to know if the "sign up" papers can be searched somewhere? His "enlistment" so to speak or was it different for Navy?

Comment

So if his grand-daughter applied (as closer kin is dead) - would she be considered next of kin?

Im glad to hear that you managed to get the records, i think if you're family £30 is an extortionate price! But what you said gives me hope
                      Would you happen to know if the "sign up" papers can be searched somewhere? His "enlistment" so to speak or was it different for Navy?
                      Yes, grand daughter could tick she is next of kin - they will not investigate further especially in view of his age.

The price is fixed at what it costs to find what you want because there is no real need for you to have the records, just curiosity.If applicants did not pay then the taxpayer is footing the bill and they would object, since researching a family tree is only a hobby. If the person or spouse needed the papers then they are free.

I doubt you will find any more papers elsewhere but what you get from MOD may include everything from the very beginning of his career in the Navy.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X