No announcement yet.

William Cubitt b c 1880

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Laura Cubitt Sharman was the daughter of Charles F Sharman and Maria Watts (sister of Mary Ann). Charles was with his FIL George Watts at his pub The Crown in Catfield ED6 on the 1861 census and his wife in Norwich hospital. Laura was being looked after by the Crane family further down the Street ED5. Both their children were given the middle name of Cubitt. Charles F Sharman was illegitimate but I guess he knew who his father was and dropped the name Sharman in favour of Cubitt by 1861. A bit of speculation (as usual with this family LOL) - A Charles George Cubitt, unmarried, b 1801, a farmer of 400 acres and employing 12 labourers, lived in Catfield '41 and '51. He married a young lady and also had a child age 1 on this census. On their marriage cert Charles Frederick names his father as Charles George Sharman - farmer Poor Charles died age 26 and his wife age 32. Laura was brought up by her Watts grandparents. Such a sad life. It was a bit of a trial sorting this family out!!
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-04-18, 21:54.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Charles and Maria also named their first born Charles George Cubitt Sharman b and d 1859
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

That is a sad story Kat. Laura losing both her parents so young but then she did have the Watts family to care for her as did William.

I have quite a bit of illegitimacy in my family but they didn't complicate it by adopting other names.

I looked on FMP for any Fish Merchant called William Harrison. Nothing showing in the right area. I suppose William may have used the name he was familiar with for the marriage record.

I've often wondered why William chose to move to Manchester.

Vera

Comment

Working...
        X