Still searching for Granny T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still searching for Granny T

Hi all, I wonder if anyone has any information on my Grandmother May Hardinge who was born in Ireland, possibly Dublin c1878 had a sister Elizabeth/Ida. In 1903 whilst working as a Governess for the Dean family she married my Grandfather Murdoch Tulloch a farrier in the RHA. They left India in c1906 to return to the UK. They had a daughter born in Mhow in 1903 Grandmother told no-one of her life prior to India and I doubt she every told her husband much.

Many thanks,
    Dorothy

Hello Dorothy,
    Can you give us anything else to work with, please?
    Where did they marry - Ireland, UK, India? Have you got the marriage certificate, which would give the name of May's father?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If I've got the right man, they married 7 Jan 1902 in Mhow and the bride was May Ida. two sons and two daughters.
      (This info is taken from Murdoch's WW1 service record and I've found sometimes the soldier got marriage & birth dates of his children wrong!)
      So, if they married in India, I wonder if May had an army background, child of a soldier. I'm also wondering if she was a governess or perhaps a nursery maid with an army or colonial family???

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-10-17, 14:36.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just been looking at British Nationals Armed Forces Marriages 1796-2005 and have found an entry for Maurice Gordon Tullock who married at Mhow in 1903. Brides name not given

Which man is yours, please, Maurice or Murdock?

update -
        I've just found another service record for what is probably the same man - that has the marriage date as 27 Jan 1903, with Amy Deane as one of the witnesses. This set of records has an earlier date of birth for the soldier, and is the record of his initial pre WW1 service. He wouldn't be the first man to have knocked a few years off his age when volunteering to rejoin for war service.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-10-17, 14:58.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Couldn't find the family in 1911 census for Eng/Wales, but had a few spare credits for Scotlandspeople and located them in Dalziel. Unfortunately for place of birth for May, it just gives Ireland - no definitive place.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have just searched the British Nationals Armed Forces Marriages 1796-2005 using May's names only and got the following result: May Ida Hardinge married Mhow India page 263 line 71. I then added spouse surname Tullock and got the same hit.
            When I enter Tullock, I get the Maurice Gordon Tullock result in post 4 - the ref is page 263 line 237. I get the same hit & reference number when I cross-reference Tullock with May Hardinge. So, it seems there is a possible duplication or an indexing error??
            However, you should be able to buy a copy of the marriage certificate from the GRO, if you explain the dilemma - I'm sure one of the other forum members will be able to give you more comprehensive advice on this issue than I can. The marriage cert should give you details of the bride's father - whether or not she declared the truth is, of course, a different issue!

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-10-17, 15:49.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Dossie View Post
              Hi all, I wonder if anyone has any information on my Grandmother May Hardinge who was born in Ireland, possibly Dublin c1878 had a sister Elizabeth/Ida.
              Found births for 2 sisters:

Ida Harding born 9.1.1865 Tullamain, Co Tipperary:

May Harding born 28.5.1866 at Tullamain Castle:

Parents: Henry Maynard Harding, Gentleman, and Lucy Magrath.
              Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

The marriage is online pay per view, as Jay mentioned Amy Deane is a witness
                Father Robert Harding in transcription but I would say the e is faded looking closer
                Father John Tulloch for Maurice Gordon Tulloch...shoeing smith

transcription here also

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Name Maurice Gordon Tulloch
                Birth Date 1877
                Age 26
                Spouse's Name May Ida Hardinge
                Spouse's Birth Date 1879
                Spouse's Age 24
                Event Date 27 Jan 1903
                Event Place Mhow, Bengal, India
                Father's Name John Tulloch
                Spouse's Father's Name Robert Hardinge
                Race White
                Marital Status Single
                Spouse's Marital Status Single

daughter 1903 as army records

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I hate it when those links to that!
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Good find re the online marriage , Elaine. (I had looked, initially, at this data set, but very briefly, and got NO hits because I had put in Murdoch Tulloch!! - didn't try with just the bride's name, dopey me :o)
                    Father John Tulloch (on the marriage cert) matches the information on the army records I found: WW1 pensions record and also the earlier service record. Seems Murdoch was a stoker, then enlisted with the Scots Greys, but bought himself out within the initial "trial" period. He then re-joined the army and trained to become a shoeing smith. The 1911 census return recorded him as a coachman and then he went into the army again for a short time during WW1 and served in France.
                    I haven't managed to locate May in 1901 Eng/Wales census (nor in Ireland) - perhaps she was already in the employment of the Deane family and out of the country???

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-10-17, 09:02.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi Janet, thank you for your reply. I am sorry that I cannot give you much more information re Granny T. Regarding her age I have made an educated guess re this from her Death Certificate which I hold and from other family documents but not an exact day month or year. The Marriage Certificate only came to light 1975 after a relative of Murdoch's died intestate and it was provided by an "Heir Hunter". It was news to my Mum that her mother who had passed away was Irish. The grooms name on the certificate is quoted at Maurice but his name was Murdoch as on his birth certificate.
                      They were married in St. Andrews Church in Mhow 1903 The name given on her marriage certificate is listed as Robert Hardinge deceased. This information does not match the name given by her sister who lived in Manhattan which is said to be James Harding.
                      This search has been ongoing since the 1920/30 when my Mum wrote to the NY Times looking for her Aunt and found her only discover she had passed away
                      Thanks,
                      Dorothy

Comment

Hi All, thank you so much for all your research. The information you have provided is for the most part correct and I hold Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate of Murdoch and May via the National Archives prior to them becoming available on pay-per vie sites. You will find that the name Tulloch is frequently written as Tullock same with Murdoch. Throughout his army and civilian career there Names were spelled and pronounced wrongly. The date of his marriage was 1903. May was "in the family way" when they married. Their daughter was born 1903 and I believe this was due to the stigma attached to a woman who was pregnant at the time of her marriage. I've often thought that Granny might have been a daughter or the regiment and was part of the Raj and lived well as a Governess. I've looked for Deane but have no information at all on them. They may have been involved with the Indian railways.

He bought himself out as the Scot's Grays were more or less Home based and went for the adventure of the RHA. He was a Special reservist so your correct he did enlist in 1914 for a particular term he was 38 when he set sail for France. He was born in 1876. The parish of Dalziel is in Motherwell.

I am beginning to think I should leave Granny in peace now. I'll think about it but thank you all for your time and efforts so far.
                        Dorothy

Comment

Working...
                        X