2 Bits of help please - Mac query & ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Bits of help please - Mac query & ancestry

What software would any Mac users recommend for doing/storing/working with trees on a Mac and how (if it is possible) can you merge 10 trees into one tree on Ancestry? I have 10 separate trees of my ancestors from mother and father side of the families (don't ask it seemed logical at the time) and now I want to have one tree as I'm giving serious consideration to delving into the world of DNA and you can only link the results to one tree - hence wanting to have one tree. I only have 3600 direct ancestors/relations + married ins so not huge.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Bo
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

"What software would any Mac users recommend for doing/storing/working with trees on a Mac"
    While I work on a Mac, I have a Windows environment running on a simulator. I use Family Historian.

how (if it is possible) can you merge 10 trees into one tree on Ancestry?

Ancestry itself won't merge trees. FTM will merge trees, as will FH and many other genealogy packages. Even with good tools, this is not a trivial undertaking if you have duplicated people in the various trees.

"I want to have one tree as I'm giving serious consideration to delving into the world of DNA and you can only link the results to one tree"

Yes, AncestryDNA is set up for you to tie your one set of results to one tree. It may be a skeleton tree that you've constructed just for DNA purposes. IMO, there's not much advantage of listing all your side branches - ancestry's leaf (I think!) will only show up when your DNA match has the MRCA in their tree (Most Recent Common Ancestor), even if you have their branch in your tree.

Are you the only one that will test? Yes, a tree with both branches of your family is best. On the other hand - I am fortunate that I could test both my parents. I have their results tied to separate trees. The number of people that I've had try to connect my father's Smiths when they are a match to my mother, or vice versa, made me realize that I needed to separate them!

Comment

Many thanks PhotoFamily

Are you the only one that will test? Yes, a tree with both branches of your family is best. On the other hand - I am fortunate that I could test both my parents. I have their results tied to separate trees. The number of people that I've had try to connect my father's Smiths when they are a match to my mother, or vice versa, made me realize that I needed to separate them![/QUOTE]

Yes I'm the only one who will test - my father is long deceased and my mother not a willing candidate. My trees tend not to have many duplicates apart from the direct line to myself - i go up directly from myself and then branch out upwards from a particular grandparent - hence 8 trees varying between 172 and 994 people and two smaller what I would describe as "come and get me trees" which I can easily put onto the relevant tree.

Is family historian easy to use and upload onto a Mac - I don't use a windows environment.

Bo
      Bo

Comment

"Is family historian easy to use and upload onto a Mac - I don't use a windows environment."

No, FH only runs in a Windows environment. Not sure if there is FTM for the Mac? Apparently there is:

someone else will need to speak about how it runs on the Mac.

Seems like there are a fair number of people using RootsMagic - that apparently runs on a Mac, also. Again, I haven't used it, so someone would need to chime in.

I'd also point out - lots of people have tested on AncestryDNA who have not hooked their results to a family tree. Lots. It's a bit frustrating, but that's common in genetic gen. Especially on ancestry...
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 25-10-17, 01:20.

Comment

Family Tree Maker makes it easier than ever to discover your family story, preserve your legacy and share your unique heritage. If you're new to family history, you'll appreciate how this intuitive program lets you easily grow your family tree with simple navigation, tree-building tools, and integrated Web searching. If you’re already an expert, you can dive into the more advanced features, options for managing data, and a wide variety of charts and reports. The end result is a family history that you and your family will treasure for years to come!

FTM also do a Mac version Bo [I use Windows so can't be of much help, sorry]

re Ancestry trees.. I had several mini trees and put them in to one big tree name by name, very long and very laborious but I didn't get any duplicates I suspect you can do it with a FH program but not being that confident didn't want to mess it up! [I use Mackiev FTM 2017 btw]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks Both - ill investigate ftm and roots magic
            Bo

Comment

Working...
            X