World War II Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War II Medals

I've just been looking through my fathers service records and I see that he was entitled to a medal (just the ordinary service medal I think). I can't remember ever seeing this and I was wondering if there was any way I could find out if it was ever issued and if not as his oldest child would I be allowed to claim it now and if so would there be any charge?
    Margaret

have you looked on here to see if he was awarded any
    1. Why use this guide? This research guide provides information which will prove useful if you are searching for records of a campaign or service medal awarded to someone who fought with the British armed services prior to the Second World War. Though far less detailed than most service records, documents of campaign medals can […]

Comment

Don't think WW2 medals are on that site, Val.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

your best bet would be to contact the MOD Margaret.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

oh I thought it said for that too, must have read it wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it was just called 'War Medal 1939/45' which I presume was the medal given to everyone who served, I'll have a look around the internet and see if I can find out anything.
            Margaret

Comment

WW2 medals were not sent out automatically - those entitled to any medals had to apply for them. So, it could have been a case that he didn't request his.
              As suggested upthread, I think it would have to be the MOD that you make inquiries to. However as you already have his WW2 service record, I presume you have already been in contact with them in order to receive this - so it would just be a case of following through info they have already sent to you and asking firstly whether or not the medal was issued to him. There must be some record of whether or not people APPLIED, to prevent the entitlement being issued twice. I'm pretty sure WW2 medals didn't have the names of the recipient engraved on them, so if received and later sold on, it would be hard to trace a specific medal, but easier to obtain a replacement.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-10-17, 15:34.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                Thanks for the replies, it was just called 'War Medal 1939/45' which I presume was the medal given to everyone who served, I'll have a look around the internet and see if I can find out anything.
                Take a look at
                https://tinyurl.com/ydazwpgt

If you scrool down past the medals for Gallentry you will see the Campaign Medals starting with the 1939 to 1945 Star
                After the various Stars comes the Defence Medal then the War Medal 1939 to 1945.

Each medal shows the requirements that had to be met to receive it.

Cheers
                Guy

PS Though the WW2 medals were not inscribed some people had the medals inscribed.
                My grandfather had some of his son's posthumous medals inscribed, these were stolen in the late 1960s and I am still looking for his medals including his 1939-1945 Star and his France and Germany Star inscribed Lt J.P.H. Guy
                Last edited by Guy; 08-10-17, 17:37. Reason: Added a PS
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I was able to send for my uncle's three WW2 medals on behalf of my father (his next of kin at the time). It was an easy process.
                  Jenny

Comment

Thank you every one and thank you Guy for that link, I've printed off the forms and will post them tomorrow. I hope that you one day find 'your' medals, as they are inscribed surely they won't mean anything to anyone else apart from an avaricious collector.
                    Margaret

Comment

I'll keep an eye out for them Guy
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks to the helpful suggestions on here, today I received my fathers medals, he was entitled to the Defence Medal and the War medal 1939-45, not special ones but 'special' to me, so thank you everyone.
                        Margaret

Comment

Pleased you managed to get them, Margaret, as they "complete" that chapter of your Dad's life.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

A very satisfying conclusion

Comment

Working...
                            X