Which Subscription ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Subscription ?

Being a Genealogy virgin I'm just starting out in tracing my heritage and wondered what are the pro's and cons of each of the subscriptions I've come across ?

Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

Create your family tree. Take a MyHeritage DNA test for ancestry and genetic testing. Access 19.5 billion historical records for genealogy research.

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

... all seem to have a similar price attached to a monthly and annual subscription, and I imagine they're all accessing pretty much the same information sources... so which one will offer me the best information and value for money ?

What experiences do any of you have ?

Thanks, in anticipation...

I personally have Ancestry and FMP, if you are thinking of taking out a sub to Ancestry, there is a thread running this is the link and you can get 50% off

Comment

You are right to think they have some of the same information. Certainly Ancestry and FMP have all the UK censuses and the indexes of births, marriages and deaths. If you are just starting out that may be all you need for the time being. As you get more deeply into your family history you'll start to need other things and then you'll need to see which site has the best records for your areas of interest. FMP has the 1939 register, which none of the others have so that couls be a plus for a newbie!
      Personally I have both FMP and Ancestry and wouldn't want to have to choose between them.
      Anne

Comment

Like the others have said, ancestry and fmp have some major records in common. Like them, i also have subs to both. I find fmp is better for transcripts in general (ancestry's are shocking) and the parish records i need. Whereas i feel the family tree program is much better on ancestry, less clunky and easy to use.

I don't know of anyone who uses my heritage. Bear in mind there are free sources you can use. Freebmd is good for births, deaths, and marriages indexes. The enlish general register office has their own births and deaths indexes now to search on their website, which give maiden names at birth and ages at death (not the case in previous indexes available on freebmd/ancestry/fmp).

Comment

FamilySearch is also very useful & FREE. They also have digitised Parish Register images e.g. Norfolk, Cornwall; the GRO Indices, etc.

Comment

Hello Nick and welcome to the forum.

I personally wouldn't advise you on taking out ANY subscription yet, I have used My Heritage [and this is part of Ancestry group] and although I haven't used their site for research I just used it as a method for getting a tree 'out there'

there are many free resources that you can use, some of which have been mentioned, FreeBMD, FreeCEN, FreeREG are good to use but are no way complete.

I think that you would have to see when and where you would like to start your quest, maybe start a new thread with one of your Ancestors and then perhaps the members can help you to see what free info they can get for you.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              I personally have Ancestry and FMP, if you are thinking of taking out a sub to Ancestry, there is a thread running this is the link and you can get 50% off
              https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...t-offer/page10
              Another offer which is available on Ancestry is a one month sub for £1. This offer expires today - not sure what time but probably midnight UK time.
              Gives you access to UK Premium records which would be very suitable if you are starting out and should give you a chance to take a look at the website and see the sort of records which are available.
              You will need to create an account on Ancestry and then when you log in you should get a "popup" offer and/or see the banner at the top of the page.
              (This offer only works if you do not have a current subscription.)
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Hamilton View Post
                Being a Genealogy virgin I'm just starting out in tracing my heritage and wondered what are the pro's and cons of each of the subscriptions I've come across ?

www.ancestry.co.uk
                www.myheritage.co.uk
                www.findmypast.co.uk

... all seem to have a similar price attached to a monthly and annual subscription, and I imagine they're all accessing pretty much the same information sources... so which one will offer me the best information and value for money ?

What experiences do any of you have ?

Thanks, in anticipation...

Hi Nick, one thing you should bear in mind is that the records you get on Ancestry are only available for you to see when you are subscribed but you can access your records on FMP at any time once you have purchased them. Not sure if this helps. Good luck with your search. Chinch

Comment

Working...
                X