Problem with getting hints from Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with getting hints from Ancestry

I have reported this to Mackiev but evidently a reply can take days to weeks so wonder if anyone else has had a problem like mine resolved.

I have hints and can see them on my FTM screen but when I try to login to Ancestry I am only offered to add my username and password to ancestry.com not .co.uk. if I try that the hints come up but when I click on them I cannot open them and the screen goes to show subscriptions available.

I don't have any problems with my FTM or Ancestry and am able to sync OK - I have done that today successfully.

Edit: my FTM screen shows on LHS when on search web:
    ancestry.co.uk
    familysearch.org
    Rootsweb.com

and other search sites

Help please??
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-09-17, 15:54.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

surprised nobody has replied ? have you sorted it now ? if not might be an idea to ring Ancestry.

Comment

Morning Val,
      Yes, thanks, I did get a reply - eventually.
      Strange but the method seems rather long winded and has to be done each time if I search from FTM. I tend to search on ancestry tho' and sync later.
      This is our correspondence in case anyone else is having this problem:

"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
      Could you please try the following suggestion?

1. Launch FTM application.
      2. In case you re logged in to Ancestry, log out by clicking log out button in the upper right corner of the Plan workspace.
      3. Click Help -> Connect FTM to Ancestry and log in using your username and password.
      4. Go to Websearch workspace in FTM.
      5. Select Family Search in the search location panel on the left side of the screen.
      6. Switch to Ancestry in the list of search locations.
      7. Start the new search.
      8. Click the first result.
      9. Log in when prompted using your username and password and NOT your email address.
      Does that help?"

and my reply:

"Thank you for the reply.
      It did work but it seems a rather roundabout way to get there and I have to follow this method every time I do a search.
      On the top LHS of my plan view on FTM it shows a list of my search engines - one being Ancestry.co.uk NOT .com so what I don't understand is why I'm being asked for a .com username and password when I do a web search. Surely if I am using .co.uk I should be automatically asked to log into this rather than .com
      It appears that I must have a faulty version of FTM otherwise this (your suggested method above) would be the published method of searching Ancestry from FTM and I can see no answer to this sort of question on the support site."
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-10-17, 09:56.
      Kat

Comment

that's ridiculous, did you ask both Ancestry and Mackiev ? good luck with it

Comment

It's Mackiev's problem I believe, Val.
          Kat

Comment

maybe if you went on the ancestry forum others may have the same problem ? do you think it would help if you reinstalled it.

Comment

This is the reply I received.
              "I know it does not resolve the problem the way you expected, it is temporary problem and we have a fix for it in the update that will be released soon.
              You will be notified via separate email about the free update available for your FTM 2017.
              Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Well, you would have thought others must have had the same problem as me then and we should all have been mailed about it????
              Kat

Comment

have you looked in FTM for any updates? seems odd as you say.

Comment

No, the reply says I will be informed re update by email.
                  Kat

Comment

I have reported this same problem to Mackiev today but I find it hard to beleive there are only two people with the issue.

I will let you know what (if anything) they tell me.

Comment

I had an e-mail from Makiev yesterday to say the update fixing this and pther things should be released in the next few days.

Comment

I have just experienced the problem a minute or so ago. Using back button and trying again fixed it.

Comment

Just in case I missed it has anybody had an update to fix this?

I had an e-mail to say they had to do it by 5th December but nothing since.

Comment

Since I changed over I don't get hints on Ancestry. Hope they fix it.

Tora

Comment

Why would you want to get hints from Ancestry or elsewhere?
                              The danger with hints it discourages you from searching for other possible candidates by offering an easy solution.

How many people when accepting a hint then follow it up by searching for other records to back up the supposition?

I am afraid I have been approached by many researchers asking for help after they have accepted a hint and not followed the basic guidance to find a miuim of 3 seperate sources to confirm any supposition.

Cheers
                              Guy
                              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Sorry Guy but I use hints to help find extra databases of which I was not yet aware and as a shortcut to records I have already found and am attaching to my recently uploaded Ancestry tree. I never just blindly accept a hint but always check it out. I also realise that there are very many other records which are not yet online. Please don't tar us all with the same brush!!!

I do not use family Tree maker so am not experiencing the problems noted by the OP.
                                Anne
                                Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 13-12-17, 18:25.

Comment

Sorry Anne I did not phrase my post very well, I meant it to read as a generic post whereas it read as if I am criticising you for which I apologise
                                  Cheers
                                  Guy
                                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks for that Guy
                                    Anne

Comment

Did anyone receive an e-mail from Mackiev and was this update ever issued?

Comment

Haven't heard from Mackiev and still no hints

Comment

Working...
                                        X