• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, agree Chrissie.
    Squiddley must have more information than posted -
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Harry (the Harry on the 1911 census was born in Paddington and worked in a bar) married a Rose Phillips in 1913. He gave his father as Moses Moss, clothier, deceased. I can't believe that it is the same Moses who founded the firm. Possibly it is Moses Moss, clothier, died Whitechapel 1904 aged approx 40. There is a Moses Moss born at the right time, the son of Zachariah Moss, clothier, of Praed St, Paddington. I can't find any subsequent record of this Moses nor can I find a birth record for Harry. Of course Harry might be his Anglicised name.

Comment

Should say that Zachariah (b1814) and Moses (b1857) are on the 81 census. Moses' place of birth is Houndsditch not Hornschurch as transcribed on Ancestry. Also that Harry's address is given as Aldgate on the marriage certificate.

Comment

Following through with Zachariah Moses:
          Married Rachael Judah. St Luke July 1848
          on 1851 and '61 birth is 1827 - only on 1881 does it give 1814
          1851 Piece 1533 Folio 357 Page number 40
          1861 Piece 211 Folio 21 Page number 2
          Issue:All mmn Judah. Between 1849 and 1869 - Henry, Joseph, Fanny, Benjamin, Moses, Hannah,Nancy, Isaac, Solomon and Sarah
          Rachael dies 1874 and Zachariah remarries to Elizabeth Leah Connor Mar 1888 Paddington
          They had children prior to the marriage.
          Issue: All mmn Connor between 1876 and 1880 - Lewis, Constance, David, Rebecca
          1881 Piece:18 Folio: 62 Page Number: 4
          Index of Wills : Zachariah Moss d1900

Index of Wills: Elizabeth Leah Moss d1913

Having problems with finding them on 1900 and 1911.

Whether this is what you need I'm not sure but this family were living Aldgate in 1861 /71 and in Paddington 1881 (haven't found 1891 yet) but they seem to be at least in the right area at the right times.

Edit: If anyone can find this family on 1891 - 1911 we would be grateful I'm off to bed it's getting late..
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 26-09-17, 02:12.
          Kat

Comment

There is, at least, nothing in my connection that contradicts. 1911:Harry Moss, bar manager, born Paddington, living in Aldgate, son of Moses Moss, clothier deceased >> 1904: Moses Moss, clothier, aged about 40, dies in Whitechapel >> 1881: Moses Moss, born 1857, living in Paddington. There are other Harry Mosses - there's one with a father called Moses - but none fit on the other facts. It's always possible that Harry lied on the marriage cert about his age/condition of his father but Rose Phillips' details are correct. I just wish that I could find Harry's birth.
            The story (source of my enquiry) was that Harry's father was a member of the Moss Bros family but was not part of the firm. Perhaps Zachariah and Moses were brothers - it's unlikely.

Comment

1891: Piece number:15 Folio:119 Page:3
              1901: Piece number:119 Folio:29 Page:6

Can't see them in 1911 at the moment.
              Glen

Comment

What are the names of the two witnesses on the marriage of Harry please? I wondered if it may give any clues.

There is a Harry Moss in 1939 living with a Rose Moss at 57 Porters Avenue, Dagenham, Essex. His birth is given as 6 Mar 1889 - Male Motor Driver (Lorry). Rose birth given as 29 Mar 1889. Also a possible daughter Vera Cullinon (Moss) born 13 Apr 1927.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Registration district: Paddington
                  Registration District Number: 1
                  Sub-registration district: Paddington North
                  ED, institution, or vessel: 28
                  Piece: 28
                  Glen

Comment

Thanks Glen for those
                    Kat

Comment

The witnesses were two people by the name of Isaacs - probably the people that lived four doors up from the Phillips family in the same Street in 1911. The Harry Moss in Romford is the right one.

Comment

Note that Ancestry say that he died in 1954 Romford as Harry H Moss b abt 1888 but the GRO does not recognise the initial.

Comment

Belay that. He is the Harry Moss who died in St Pancras in November 1955.

Comment

The R Isaacs signature is a bit wobbly - which I first thought suggested an older person. However in 1911 there is a Lewis and Rachel Isaacs living at 14 Providence Place when Rachel Phillips was at number 11. They will do for me.

Comment

Soory - the previous reply was aimed at Smiffy

Comment

Originally posted by Squiddley1957 View Post
                                Soory - the previous reply was aimed at Smiffy
                                Love the Smiffy bit
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X