Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing London Convicts in Britain & Australia, 1780-1925

This looks interesting:

As I don't have any convicts in my tree (except a few petty criminals) I'm not sure how good these databases are. Free to search and the sources from which the database is derived are shown below. Perhaps some of you with convicts could try it out if you have time to spare and see if it is useful/easy to use:

Quote:
    Partnerships with Archives and Data Providers
    This project would not have been possible without substantial amounts of data created by several public and commercial organisations which have worked with us during the course of the project. We are very grateful to these providers for sharing their data with us.

Findmypast provided several crucial datasets from their major collection of Crime and Punishment records from The National Archives and their Census Returns for England and Wales 1841-1911. They also provided access to their images of male UK Licences for the Parole of Convicts 1853-1925 to facilitate transcription.

Ancestry provided a number of UK and Australian convict datasets.

The National Archives UK supplied high-quality images of female UK Licences for the Parole of Convicts 1853-1925 and Metropolitan Police Register of Habitual Criminals 1881-1925, in addition to data obtained via their Discovery catalogue.

The London Metropolitan Archives digitised high-quality images of the Middlesex House of Detention Calendars 1836-1889.

The Founders and Survivors projects at the University of Tasmania and the University of Melbourne provided the key Tasmanian data for VDL Founders and Survivors Convicts 1802-1853 and VDL Founders and Survivors Convict Biographies 1812-1853.

State Library of Queensland created the British Transportation Registers database and made it available as open data.

Tasmanian Archives created the Names Index of Tasmanian convicts and host the portal for linking to VDL Founders and Survivors Convicts 1802-1853 records.

New South Wales State Archives created the series of New South Wales Convict Indexes 1788-1873.

State Records Office of Western Australia suppplied images of several series of convict records of transcription, which will appear on this website in due course.

Free UK Genealogy provided transcriptions data from the Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales, 1837-1925, which will appear on this website in due course.

Professor Simon Devereaux of the University of Victoria provided a copy of his Capital Convictions at the Old Bailey 1760-1837 database.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

that does look interesting!

Is it free or do you have to subscribe?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Seemed to work well. My cousin's convict had several entries, including links to the transripts of proceedings at the Old Bailey. My own convict was Scottish and tried in Scotland -but his transportation record showed up regardless.
      Last edited by Macbev; 16-09-17, 04:10.

Beverley

Comment

Will pop it in the Reference Library, thank you.

Comment

Worth looking at even if you don't have people from London, as they could have been tried in London, Daniel Rapley one of OH's kin from the Rapley Gang of Sussex has his transportation there.

Comment

Working...
          X