Gedcoms - how to create

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcoms - how to create

I have just been in Ancestry.co.uk - they have made me a guest would you believe - I just wish they had told me - my membership ran out today and if all that has happened had not, I would have considered a further membership. I am needless to say extremely happy - just hope I haven't misunderstood.
    I notice my main Tree has been damaged but, as far as I can see, not too severely - folk have been added that I have never heard of and all the usual childish stuff.
    I haven't looked at Trees 2,3 and ?4 -can't find no. 4! may it RIP wherever it has gone. I had on Trees 2 and 3 also done my adopted family. I can no longer, where a tree still exists, see how to make it private or public - none of it is a big secret but at least it takes up less space - I may be dreaming but I am sure I have heard you can put a Gedcom on something or other which is very small and keep it safe - I am sure there is an alternative way to use a Gedcom - I just don't know what the alternative is!!! Many of you have pointed out to me today how stupid I am so don't be surprised by the comment about Gedcoms - I may be quite wrong.
    I am also absolutely delighted a) that ancestry have given me a free membership and 2) that they have 4 of my Trees safely nestling on their site.
    I think I may have to take a leaf out of "Val I wish I' never started's" book and call myself "Sue I wish I'd never started"!
    Ancestry may be a bit annoyed with me tomorrow morning when I ask them for the picture of the vessel perceived as a death threat. They took it onto their site - I was online with one of the Ancestry.co.uk workers who had been incredibly good and saw it virtually at the same time as he did - it was actually in the process of being added to the Tree. I read what was on it and then he grabbed it back and said "this will be dealt with in-house" - I can see his point but the company can hardly be blamed for one loony and at least he saw the sort of thing that had been happening. I need this picture for Police visit tomorrow.
    Sue - feeling more proactive now, will grit dentures and get on with what I have to do.
    I am sorry I was so grumpy this afternoon. I have always used my computer on my own because OH is not remotely interested in ancestry so I never have anyone to ask about how you actually do a tree, save a tree, etc - that bit was easy to work out but some of the things you mentioned on FTF I have only vaguely heard of.
    Last edited by Sue1; 12-09-17, 01:15.

This is how you get your Ancestry Gedcom:

On the tree you are working on, when you have any part of the tree on the screen you will see its title top left.

Click on the arrow at the end of the title and select Tree Settings from the drop down menu.

In Tree Settings scroll down, you will see Manage your tree, Export your family tree data as a GEDCOM file to your computer and green button underneath which says Export Tree

Press it and it will generate a Gedcom and you will get another longer looking green button which says Download Your Gedcom, you can then save it to wherever you like (I normally pop the date on the end of the file, save it to an external hard drive as well as my computer, and email it to myself too)

Hope this is helpful Sue, you can also create a gedcom on the other family tree progams eg Family Tree Maker, Family Historian etc or import your Ancestry gedcom to them.

Comment

So pleased you have decided to continue with your tree, good luck and don't forget to ask if you have a problem, also try and back up your tree to somewhere safe, like an external drive, it's really easy to do.

Comment

Hi Jill, Thanks you very much for that. I am glad you told me how to do it because I don't have a clue. I will print your instructions and see what I can do. I do have a FTM which I no longer use because things kept dropping off it - it is FTM 2012 which may no longer be compatible with anything. Sue
        PS I don't think I have an "external" hard drive - what is it? Sorry to be thick.

Comment

Small device that holds more than a USB memory stick and plugs in with a short lead to one of the small rectangular sockets on your computer, though a USB stick would do just as well though they hold less.

Comment

Hi an external hard drive can be
            1) a little stick often called a USB stick about the length of your finger with a metal bit at thend that goes into your computer or
            2) a black box aboutthe size of a passport or bigger with a little wire on it with a metal bit at the end and that goes into your machine.
            both types are plugged into the usb port thats the oblong shaped hole in your computer often at the front or side of your machine and you can copy over stuff frm computer to the external hard drive by opening up the page where your gedcom is and then right click so a menu appears and it ought to say 'send to' and you click the name of the stick or box and it copies it all over. if you get stuck let me know and i will talk you thru it .
            Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
              Hi Jill, Thanks you very much for that. I am glad you told me how to do it because I don't have a clue. I will print your instructions and see what I can do. I do have a FTM which I no longer use because things kept dropping off it - it is FTM 2012 which may no longer be compatible with anything. Sue
              PS I don't think I have an "external" hard drive - what is it? Sorry to be thick.
              I use FTM 2012 Sue, the only thing that has changed with it is that now you cannot sync it with Ancestry. You can still use it safely on your computer, as I am doing [without upgrading to FTM 2017]
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just to let everyone know that Sue1 is still in contact with me but she is not well and so is trying to get better without coming back on FTF.

Here trees are all where they should be and intact so no damage done as she suspected.

I will be sending her printed charts etc for her tree along with a FTM file and gedcom for future use should she or her family want to take the tree further.

I have told her we all wish her well for the future.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X