Family Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Mystery

Hi I am new to this interesting forum, and have been interested in FH for quite a few years.

My problem involves my Father-in -laws grandfather. According to his childhood memories his father told him
    that his grandfather had been a merchant seaman who got in trouble in Canada, and then stole a fellow seamans
    papers and identity. He thinks that his original name may have been Fitzgerald and he may have been of Irish origin.
    My father in law is now 90 and his memory may be affected by time?

His Grandfathers name was William Lander

The details I have researched mainly from FMP are:

First appearance 1890 Marriage to Winifred Dicker in Hackney
    1891 Census 61 Wells Street, Hackney William Lander, Head, Married, Male, 38, 1853, Seaman, London England - with wife Winifred

1901 Census 84 Wick Road, Hackney William Lander, Head, Married. Male,48, 1853, AB Seaman, Merchant Service, Homerton England With his
    wife and four children.

1911 Census 2 Sidney Road Homerton (which I beleive was a Workhouse mainly for Sailors) Inmate,Widower,Male,Formerly Seaman, 58, 1853, Born London
    Whitechapel. His youngest son was an inmate in an orphanage/workhouse and I have not fully researched the others.

1919 Died 3rd Quarter 1919

My father in law asks is it possible to find out anything about his grandfather prior to 1890?

I fear it is a brick wall.

Thanks for any comments

Phil.

Hi Phil, there is a birth record apr- Jun 1854 William Lander Middlesex, MMN Peasley.
    Robert

Comment

This is William and Winifred's marriage for those researching this:

Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

If I understand you correctly, your f-i-l's grandfather is thought to have originally been born in Ireland as a Fitzgerald and assumed the identity of William Lander in Canada. Did he marry under this assumed name in 1890?

Do we have any idea as to when the identity switch occurred? If the family anecdote is correct, researching William Lander's antecedents will only give a false history as they will belong to a man who is not your f-i-l's grandfather. I imagine we would need to find a crew list for Canada which contained both a William Lander and a Fitzgerald (assuming they both served on the same vessel) in an appropriate time frame.

Beverley

Comment

There's a register of seamen's papers somewhere, I am sure. If the real William Lander had his papers stolen, surely that would have been noted on the register? It won't help identify years ur man but at least it will confirm the family story.

Other than that.....DNA testing?

OC

Comment

Thanks all so far,
            Yes Macbev, The family story is as you say, born in Ireland (or maybe London Irish ??) as a Fitzgerald, assumed the identity of William Lander in Canada,
            and married and lived the rest of his life and died as William Lander.

Regards
            Phil

Comment

Thanks Robert, I think the William born in 1854 you mentioned died in 1856 and is buried in Hackney Cemetery according to FMP.
              Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                There's a register of seamen's papers somewhere, I am sure. If the real William Lander had his papers stolen, surely that would have been noted on the register? It won't help identify years ur man but at least it will confirm the family story.

Other than that.....DNA testing?

OC
                There are records on FMP but neither William Lander no William Lander are found.
                Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, I checked FMP seamens records last night and there is a huge gap including the 1870s. 1880s, and 1890s just the time I am looking for.
                  I have read that there are records in Newfoundland but I have no idea if they are online?
                  Phil

Comment

There is a record on FMP Navy Crew Lists for a

W Lander

Born 1852 London

Year 1890
                    Role Able bodied seaman

Vessel Mayfield
                    From 17/12/1890 to 12/02/1891

Previous port Leith
                    Previous vessel Benliedi
                    Previous vessel year 1890

I remember seeing a site that gave further info on ships ? Crew lists. Will check out history

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera, that sounds interesting.
                      Phil

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        There is a record on FMP Navy Crew Lists for a

W Lander

Born 1852 London

Year 1890
                        Role Able bodied seaman

Vessel Mayfield
                        From 17/12/1890 to 12/02/1891

Previous port Leith
                        Previous vessel Benliedi
                        Previous vessel year 1890

I remember seeing a site that gave further info on ships ? Crew lists. Will check out history

Vera
                        CLIP

crewlist.org.uk

Also refers to Newfoundland

Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 17-08-17, 12:40.

Comment

I think that, when I was looking for crew lists, I read that TNA has something like 10% - a kind of sample - and that the rest are in Newfoundland.

I have lots of copies for 1916 for sailings between UK and Canada.

C
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                          X