Canada census and orbituaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada census and orbituaries

I am the process of sorting out some family members who emmigrated from the Netherlands to Canada and/or Michigan.

Unfortunaly I run into a wall after they left the Netherlands. They left somewhere in the 1920's and I hoped I can look into the census, however this is a paid service at ancestry.com and as I already pay for myheritage I'm not taking another service.

Is ancestry.com the only way to look at the 1920 census?

Try familysearch.org. They have the census up to and including 1940.

Comment

you might want to look at this link from the Canadian government to see if there is anything to help you ..........

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Welcome, maartenm!
        You might look for other access to Ancestry - your local public library may have a library access. Also, if you have a Family History Centre near you, they have access to most of Ancestry's databases.

If you have any clue where they went in Canada - there are very active Genealogy Societies in many parts of Canada. They have, for instance, transcribed BMD information into various books. Unfortunately, they don't have them online - but you may buy them from the GenSoc :(

As mentioned previously, familysearch.org is a free site. It has transcriptions (and often images) for all the US censuses, and many of the Canadian. Unfortunately, Canada has only released its censuses up to 1921.

Finally, FTF members frequently help with research. The T&C does not permit the posting of the names of living persons, but we do use the sensitive research section to exchange more details, and pass names and other specific identifiers via PM.
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-08-17, 04:14.

Comment

I'm not sure if it will help, but you could also try looking through Cyndi's List for a list of Canadian resources.
          Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.
          Jenny

Comment

Thank you for your anwers. I have noticed doing ancestry in Canada is much harder than it is in the Netherlands.

I have found one of the two families I am looking for in the immigrationlist from Ellis Island. As so much Dutchmen they moved to Illinois and from there to Michigan. I found them on the 1940's census, but it is difficult to find something after the 1940's. Are there any other census-like lists from after the 40's?

The other family I am unsure wether they moved to the US or to Canada. The head of the family died in Sioux Lookout in 1943, but I am not sure if they lived there. When I search on his and his wife name only one hit shows up on ancestry.com. I have searched on death/grave registers in Ontario, but nothing shows up.

It also doesn't help they have such a generic Dutch name. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              You might look for other access to Ancestry - your local public library may have a library access. Also, if you have a Family History Centre near you, they have access to most of Ancestry's databases.
              I tried this, but they don't have access.

Somehow it looks to me myheritage is mostly used in Europe and ancestry.com in the US. Wouldn't it be great if they worked together?

Comment

I could well be wrong, but living in Michigan, I would have thought the most likely Province to move to in Canada would be Ontario, which is next door. You could try contacting the Ontario Genealogical Society to see if they can assist you. It looks as if they have some cemetery records, which might help.
                Jenny

Comment

US censuses are only released thru 1940 (there's a 72 year privacy moratorium).

Ancestry has a lot of the Michigan BMD records, but I don't know the most recent year that they have.

Newspapers, with their various announcements (obits, marriage, births), often provide detail - both for the more distant past and for the more recent.

You could start a thread with the info of those who are not living - maybe we can find something for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X