Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp family 1841 census.

Hello there,
    I'm new to Family Tree Forum and wondered if anyone can help.
    I started doing my brother-in-law's family tree as his aunt approached her 100th birthday.
    I've got absolutely hooked! The problem is that their family name is common - Sharp. I have spent much time and money following wrong leads but I think I'm finally getting there.

I have found them on the 1851 and 1861 censuses but they should be on the 1841 census. I wonder if the name has been misspelt and I've tried all sorts of possibilities to no avail.
    I wondered if anyone has any other searching tips?

What I've learnt from a mixture of the censuses and records is as follows:
    He is John George Thomas Sharp, born in Dublin around 1808.
    His wife is Mary Sharp nee Froud born in Poole, Dorset around the same time.
    She has a son Samuel born to her first husband Samuel Stower in 1833.

They have 7 children born in various locations - he is a journeyman cabinet maker.
    John George Thomas in Poole, Dorset 1836
    Alfred Edwin in Ringwood, Hants 1838
    William Henry in Bray, Berks 1840
    Hannah Culter in Egham Surrey 1842
    Frederick James in Egham, Surrey 1846
    Mary in Poole, Dorset 1847

They are on the 1851 census in Poole. Looking at the DOBs they should be in either Berkshire or Surrey in 1841 but I can't find them anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can find them?

Much appreciated,

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

John G Sharpe 30 Cabinet Maker I(reland)
    Mary 30 ? finisher No (not born in county) (Hard to decipher first word of occupation)
    Louisa Stouer 10 No
    Samuel do 8 no
    John G Thos do 4 No
    Alfred Ed 3 No
    William H 1 No

Registration district Windsor
    Archive reference HO107
    Piece number 1074
    Book number 10
    Folio number 47
    Page number 9

They are living at Egham Hythe, Egham.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 11-08-17, 11:22.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Wow, thank you. How did you find them?

Comment

I searched the children because with the 1841 census it is easier to be more precise with their ages. The ages of adults can be skewed.

Is there anything else you are stuck on with this family?
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I did try it with each child's name both on findmypast and ancestry and with all sorts of possible misspellings too!
          Many thanks. That's all for now!

Comment

Did you already have Louisa Stower?

I think this is her baptism, with the name Tower in the register:

Samuel is given as an Artist, whereas he was a painter for his son Samuel's baptism.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth, no I didn't know of her existence.

Comment

I found these using the GRO index and mother's maiden name:

SHARP, ALFRED EDWIN STOWER
                GRO Reference: 1838 M Quarter in RINGWOOD Volume 08 Page 205

SHARP, WILLIAM HENRY FROUD
                GRO Reference: 1840 M Quarter in COOKHAM Volume 06 Page 176

SHARP, ELIZA FROUD
                GRO Reference: 1844 J Quarter in WINDSOR UNION Volume 06 Page 278

SHARP, HANNAH CUTLER FROUD
                GRO Reference: 1842 J Quarter in WINDSOR UNION Volume 06 Page 273

SHARP, FREDERICK JAMES FROUD
                GRO Reference: 1846 S Quarter in WINDSOR UNION Volume 06 Page 294

SHARP, MARY FROUD
                GRO Reference: 1850 D Quarter in POOLE UNION Volume 08 Page 84
                Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 11-08-17, 17:21.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

So somewhere between about 1832 and 1836, Samuel Stower died and Mary remarried?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Samuel Stower and Mary Froud:

Mary and John George Sharp:
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Those two links both take me to Samuel and Mary.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        Here's the link for Mary and Joohn George Sharp
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          Sorry about that! I must have clicked on the wrong one.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Thank you both I'm with it now.

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth. This all backs up the census info I have on the family but I'm not sure how you searched the info by GRO index. Can I do this in ancestry.co.uk? I've never seen the BMD results broken out like this before in either ancestry or findmypast.
                              Perhaps you could then help with the main mystery which started me on this journey? I find the wife and children of the above William Henry Sharp born 1840 (one of who is the grandfather of the lovely 100 year old lady I'm doing the research for) in the South Shields work house in 1881. I don't know what has happened to him and I can find no death certificate. He became a mariner but I've checked the merchant seamen records and British deaths at sea and cannot find him. Perhaps you will be more adept at discovering his fate?

Comment

The results Elizabeth posted come from the new GRO index, which you can find here: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp

Comment

Ah, I see. Thanks. So do I have to keep altering the year of birth and gender to pick up all the children?

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid it's very irritating. It's a bit quicker if you choose a year and then select +/-2, so you can search 5 years at a time (e.g. searching for 1865 +/-2 will bring up all years from 1863 to 1867, then searching for 1870 +/-2 brings up 1868 to 1872, etc.)

Comment

Yes, Sorcha, it's rather tedious but you get good results. I have found children for my families who were born and died fairly quickly so didn't appear on the censuses.

It's very useful being able to search by mother's maiden name.
                                      Also, if you have a couple but didn't know the mother's maiden name, but know when a child was born it solves that question.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Ok, thanks. I'm learning the tricks of the trade :o

Comment

Working...
                                        X