No announcement yet.

Sharp family 1841 census.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you tell us more about William Henry Sharp and his family. Who did he marry? Where did they live on the censuses?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

William Henry Sharp

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
      Can you tell us more about William Henry Sharp and his family. Who did he marry? Where did they live on the censuses?
      He married Catherine Scanlon (Scandlon/Scanlin) at Christ Church, Tynemouth on 28th March 1864.
      On the 1871 census she is aged 30, married, head of house with 2 children living in Albion St, Westoe, South Shields.
      I know from their son William's marriage certificate that William Henry is a mariner which is why he isn't at home.

On the 1881 census she is in Harton Workhouse 1 and their children William, Edward, Thomas Henry and Jane are in Workhouse 2.

Comment

Harton workhouse served South Shields and part of the surrounding area.

Here is some interesting information about it http://www.workhouses.org.uk/SouthShields/ and also details of where the records are kept.

A William Sharp (captain of the SS Elemore) was lost at sea in 1880 and found at Saltburn and buried at Southwick. 33 years old according to the cemetery records. However, I don't think this is your man because the cemetery also lists a Dorothy Sharp, buried 1918 (73 years) and she was in Southwick in 1881, recorded as a widow.
        I fear that if your man was a rating rather than an officer, any mishap to him at sea may not have featured him by name in the newspapers. Up and down the east coast, the burial registers of villages contain many references to "man washed up on beach/body of unknown man found in the sea" all unidentified and buried without names in village churchyards. An awful situation for the relatives.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

What had happened to the children by 1891? It seems Catherine may have remained in the workhouse, only by 1891 she is recorded as widow.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            What had happened to the children by 1891? It seems Catherine may have remained in the workhouse, only by 1891 she is recorded as widow.

Jay
            Hi Jay,
            Yes, I have come across this William Sharp. He marries a Dorothy Mills so he's not my man. I daren't add up the amount of incorrect birth certificates I have ordered - there are so many William Sharps, and plenty who are mariners. Various ones feature who drown or were saved at sea but none appear to fit his dates or origins. And you're right - the newspapers abound with stories of ships sinking, almost on a weekly if not daily basis through the winter.

By 1891 all but the youngest, Thomas Henry have left the workhouse. Thomas is still there with his mother.

Comment

Working...
            X