Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharp family 1841 census.

Those two links both take me to Samuel and Mary.
    Chrissie

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
    Here's the link for Mary and Joohn George Sharp
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=1
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
    Sorry about that! I must have clicked on the wrong one.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Thank you both I'm with it now.
    Chrissie

Thank you Elizabeth. This all backs up the census info I have on the family but I'm not sure how you searched the info by GRO index. Can I do this in ancestry.co.uk? I've never seen the BMD results broken out like this before in either ancestry or findmypast.
    Perhaps you could then help with the main mystery which started me on this journey? I find the wife and children of the above William Henry Sharp born 1840 (one of who is the grandfather of the lovely 100 year old lady I'm doing the research for) in the South Shields work house in 1881. I don't know what has happened to him and I can find no death certificate. He became a mariner but I've checked the merchant seamen records and British deaths at sea and cannot find him. Perhaps you will be more adept at discovering his fate?

The results Elizabeth posted come from the new GRO index, which you can find here: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp

Ah, I see. Thanks. So do I have to keep altering the year of birth and gender to pick up all the children?

Yes, I'm afraid it's very irritating. It's a bit quicker if you choose a year and then select +/-2, so you can search 5 years at a time (e.g. searching for 1865 +/-2 will bring up all years from 1863 to 1867, then searching for 1870 +/-2 brings up 1868 to 1872, etc.)

Yes, Sorcha, it's rather tedious but you get good results. I have found children for my families who were born and died fairly quickly so didn't appear on the censuses.

It's very useful being able to search by mother's maiden name.
    Also, if you have a couple but didn't know the mother's maiden name, but know when a child was born it solves that question.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Ok, thanks. I'm learning the tricks of the trade